LED Hunting Lights

Whoop Whoop......mailman brought 1 of my gift certificate purchases today!!!!

220304.jpg

Gonna test it this evening on these babies behind the house to see how it does!!(reflective tape for the eyes)

220336.jpg

Not sure, I went to the link in this thread a couple pages back and ordered on the 30th and it's here so they ship really fast.

Originally Posted By: fitdjrWhoop Whoop......mailman brought 1 of my gift certificate purchases today!!!!

220304.jpg

Gonna test it this evening on these babies behind the house to see how it does!!(reflective tape for the eyes)

220336.jpg

Is it dark yet?
smile.gif

I have found reflective tape to be more reflective than real critter eyes, so keep that in mind once the real animals appear. Good luck

Just got home from my daughters high school bball game(they won
thumbup.gif
) and ran a quick test. This seems to be what I am looking for, using this light alone on high power with the beam concentrated almost all the way I could easily see these cut outs through my scope @ about 100 yards. I was also using the cvs AAA batteries I found in the house. Going to spend more time soon when my gun mount shows up and my scan light gets here. Hope to give more detail soon.

I've been reading this forum for a while (great information!), so I had to join to ask my light questions.

I hunt coyotes with a rifle (.243), but I've never done it at night. I need to be able to spot them at 300+ yards and possibly shoot them at the same distance if they hang out by the brush at the edge of the field and don't come closer. I'm looking at a large 3 x Cree XM-L T6 with the scope cover and red gel for spoting (and shooting if I have a partner with me) and a smaller T6 for the gun.

Spotting light:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3800-Lumens-CREE...=item337016f77a

Kill light:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-XM-L-T6-C8-...=item19cbdd379d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300643061971?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Does this look about right, or is this overkill?

Thanks for the help.

I bought my first light from DX, and after anticipating its arrival for over 1 month it arrived yesterday. Well, first off the batteries I ordered were not in the package, and second, the light doesn't even work... You hav to shake it back and forth repeatedly to get it to turn on. If you hold a paper clip on the back of the battery and touch the side of the body it lights up. Very dissapointed with the purchase, and this will probably be the last time I order any chinease junk again.

I've been lucky and have 8 lights bought from China or a US distributor. Only one gave me problems. It did the same thing as yours. I opened it up and removed the led and switch. When I put it back together everything worked fine. This was one of my last purchases so I wasn't to upset, if it was my first I'm sure I would feel the same pain you are.

Sorry to hear that, Ryan. After lurking on this particular post and reading the recommendations from so many others on the DX lights, I just ordered a light, lens, batteries, charger,etc. last night. I was going to go with either the Noxx or XLR100 but... I hope I don't have to share your pain when the order finally arrives. Now I may have to order the Noxx anyway just to be sure that I have a light to use this season.

CaptainJ: Your choice of lights are not an "overkill", more like an underkill with respect to long distance throw of the light beam. An XM-L emitter provide lots of flood lighting, but takes special optics to provide throw. The single C8 LED you're looking at would have good throw if the LED chosen was the XR-E.
Red gel paper drastically reduces the light output from an LED type of light. For red light, it's better to get the red LED.

I just received my WF-501b with the red led and aspheric mod. This thing throws some light. Can't wait until my C8 in red comes in the mail. Took my test dog out (family pet) and I could easily identify her at 100 yards as a canine with the naked eye, Let alone through a scope.

I got a red LED from EWT for 35$.. I placed it in my Uniquefire HS-802 and just like that I know have a XLR 250 for around $60 bucks. Paired with a E-bay headlamp with the blizzard creek scope cover colored red, and a gun mount from Deal extreme. I now have a full night hunting set-up for under $100. I dont use a pressure switch casue I hear from everyone they are junk. I just barrel mounted my light, and I can hit the tailswitch with my thumb without moving my hand.

C8 just came in the mail. So far the c8 is brighter than the ashperic wf-501b. Will continue the tests tonight once it is dark.

Have a question to anyone who has ever used Deal Extreme site. I got an email saying to process my order I had to verify by sending them a a photo copy of my credit card and photo ID. This sounds like a Scam. So if anyone can let me know so I know how to proceed. I didnt use Paypal so maybe this is why.

Back