Mossberg 535 or 835 ...deer/ turkey combo?

I'd be on the prowl in pawn shops for sure. This is the time of year that a lot of folks realize money is tight and deer season is over, so they dump off their hunting firearms. You'll find multitudes of 500's and 870's used, and at a good price(plus room for haggling the price down--they paid nothing for them).

With that the case, I'd be hard pressed to look past it. I love mine. Some people have reported feeding issues, but I haven't had the issues. On thing about it is shooting 2-3/4" in a 3-1/2" chamber can be problematic. I did "short shuck" a couple time when new. I hadn't owned a 3-1/2 before.

I bet if you got the super mag 870 you could sell the wood for the cost (or close) of camo synthetics. Idk, many flavors.

pahntr760,
local dealer advertising 887 Bone collector $349. I'm calling tomorrow to see if they have any left. That price is hard to beat. I would have a little over $500 when done.

I found a 887 rifled barrel rifle sites on-line store $176 in-stock.

Moss 835 rifled barrel int scope mount $150.... I will have to steal a used one if I have to buy a rifled barrel to beat the Combo price of $420... I called yesterday about the 835 camo combo deer/turkey. They had 6 left.

BrokenSVT, I have hit a few pawn shops in my area.... No great deal yet.. still looking but it is hard to beat the above new prices.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Originally Posted By: tactical assault
Nice squeeze cocker. The P7M8/ PSP are one of the coolest handguns out there.

Thanks! I was issued one back in 1989, and carried it both on and off duty for 12 years. We finally changed weapons, ultimately ednding up with the Sig 228.

I miss the P7M8.

Originally Posted By: 4949shooterOriginally Posted By: tactical assault
Nice squeeze cocker. The P7M8/ PSP are one of the coolest handguns out there.

Thanks! I was issued one back in 1989, and carried it both on and off duty for 12 years. We finally changed weapons, ultimately ednding up with the Sig 228.

I miss the P7M8.

A P228 is a kick a## gun too. My duty rig is a P226.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Those 3 1/2" shells will be nasty in any gun so I wouldn't let that influence your decision.

Yep
thumbup1.gif

Thanks everyone for the input. I will keep all your input in mind while I'm shopping for a shotgun.

I figured the 3 1/2" shell will pack a wallop!

I've been looking at several guns in the $500 price range because of your input. I foremost want a camo 3 1/2" chamber turkey gun. I "can" get a rifled barrel later since deer season is a ways off.
I'm looking at the Moss 835, Rem 870 super mag & 887, Winchester Super X.

I've had a crazy week and haven't had a chance to shoot the Rem 870 and the Moss 835 I borrowed. I have to go out of state on Thursday to attend a celebration of life for my wife's aunt so it will be this weekend before I have any time.
The Camo combo deer/ turkey packages are great deals that are hard to overlook.

I shot the 835 and 870 both. I shot 3" through both. The 870 is a 3" chambered gun. The difference I noticed was the 870 rose a little more than the 835. The 835 kick seems to travel straight back. The 870 I shot has a small cheek weld built into the stock which slapped me in the cheek when I shot it. It actually left a couple marks. The 835 transferred more kick to my shoulder. Not much but noticeable. I didn't think the 3 1/2" shells kicked that much more than the 3" in the 835. The 3" pack a punch though.
I'm favoring the Moss 835 over the Rem 870. Just my personal opinion. I'll most likely get the combo camo Moss 835 package for $420. I think it is a great value. Not the best made maybe but a great shooting reliable gun.

I'm going to check out a few other guns while at the gun store. They have a BPS tactical for $419. Not really what I am looking for but the action is almost identical to the Ithaca model 37 I have grown up shooting.

Thanks for all the input!

I ended up buying the Moss 835 combo for $420... I think this is a great gun for the money. and one I don't have to worry about getting a scratch on it since I don't have a bundle wrapped up in it.

I checked out the Browning BPS 3 1/2" camo turkey gun. It was Sweet! but $740 ...Very nice feeling action. I lust can't swing it right now. I looked at a Winchester SXP too 3" is all they had in stock. It was a waterfowl model with 28" barrel $430 Nice gun for that price if they had a turkey model in 3 1/2" I would have had a tough choice to make.

Anyway I am happy with my purchase. I can always upgrade to a higher quality gun at a later date.

Thanks everyone for your input. It really helped me make my decision.

Bernie P., Thanks....I agree!
My friends are split between liking the Rem 870 and the Moss 835. It comes down to personal preference. I like the Moss 835, when I bring it to my shoulder it just fits better. I think the action is smoother too. I think it is a great gun for the money!
I bought a Limbsaver butt pad. When I went to put it on I realized I got the wrong one. I got one for a 835 but didn't know there are two different stocks for the gun. So I can't comment on what difference it makes in recoil.

Mossberg is junk, don't waste your money. Go to a gun shop and compare any other brand to a mossberg and you'll see they just aren't a quality product. Spend a little more and get a Browning or Remington.

Originally Posted By: cjgMossberg is junk, don't waste your money. Go to a gun shop and compare any other brand to a mossberg and you'll see they just aren't a quality product. Spend a little more and get a Browning or Remington.

Mossberg is junk???????? What do you have to base that statement off of?? A family member of mine had his ran over with a car and it was perfectly fine. I have a Remington and a Browning, and I'm not knocking either one of them...they are great guns, but to say Mossberg is junk seems to be a fairly bold statement.

Originally Posted By: EasternPredHunterOriginally Posted By: cjgMossberg is junk, don't waste your money. Go to a gun shop and compare any other brand to a mossberg and you'll see they just aren't a quality product. Spend a little more and get a Browning or Remington.

Mossberg is junk???????? What do you have to base that statement off of?? A family member of mine had his ran over with a car and it was perfectly fine. I have a Remington and a Browning, and I'm not knocking either one of them...they are great guns, but to say Mossberg is junk seems to be a fairly bold statement.

I wore my first 500 pump out before I was 16, been shooting the same Browning pump now since 1983, never an issue. If you can't pick up a mossberg, check it out, then pick up a "good gun" and see a huge difference you should probably stick with the mossberg.

Back