NYS Coyote Hunters

Bob, you are right in the turkey to deer "relationship." And the yotes got the upper hand. Cornell U. puts out a study that they are gettin aggressive behavior to man here. Makes me wonder if the yote population is said to be gettin out of hand and if so why we still have a season on them?? PA, no season, etc. I think we are only one in 5 states that has a season on coyotes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Mark

Mark,

Well I've heard stories over the years regarding coyote's getting aggressive towards people here & there, but it's been real spotty. Possibly isolated instances, I use to think.

That was up until I got followed out of a large brush patch one night back in the mid to late 90's over near Geneseo, NY.
It was dusk and hard to see my pins, so I decided to climb down and work my way the several hundred yards to the road. About three steps from putting my foot on the ground, the fire whistle went off at the nearby firehall. All around me coyote's started howling. There were at least four of them I could discern from different locations, and the closest one was about 30 yds back in the thick brush behind me.

The hair on the back of my neck was as stiff as a bristle brush......man, I'll never forget that.
Never heard a thing prior to that.....not even a small twig snapping.
I held off for a few minutes, as I was about 10 ft. from the ground where my bow was laying. I heard slight movement in the grasses, but it was hardly more noticable than the light breeze that was blowing.
As I stepped to the ground, I heard the movement stop. I grabbed my bow and quickly knocked an arrow and stayed put on one knee, waiting, with the tree to my back.

I waited for several minutes, and figuring that nothing was coming, I started down the trail, heading to the road. The trail through the brush runs about 250yds., and comes out into open pasture for another 300-400yds. prior to the road where my truck was.
As I headed towards the pasture, I could hear brush behind me about 75yds. thrashing, like something was running through it towards my position.

I stopped once and could make out two dark figures standing low in the brush.........yep, coyotes. I could barely make them out, but knew what they were for sure. There was more than those two, and I had another 100-125yds. to go to get to the pasture. As I neared the field, I could still hear them following me, so I stopped and dropped to one knee and drew my bow back, waiting.......within a few seconds after I stopped, the sound stopped....dead silent.

I stayed at full draw for about an eternity, hoping that it would move before my arm got tired.......well they won, and I had to let my bow down. Within seconds afterwards, one of the group nosed around a slight bend in the trail and once he/she saw me, I could easily see it's ears perk up. I couldn't see the body to shoot at, just the head, and it was about 35yds behind me. Waiting for what seemed like an hour, I lipsqueeked, and did everything possible to get it to respond, or at least show itself fully.
It wasn't having any...............

I stood up slowly to see if I could see the full body at that angle....no luck. It circled back into the grass, and I thought it was history.
At first, I started to step backwards to the field slowly and hoped I could get one to show itself for a shot......nope. Finally said to hell with it and walked to the brushline.

Once I hit the field, I jumped the pasture fence and started across it. I stopped about 30yds. out to see if they'd follow to the edge. Nothing. Nope they're gone, I thought.
As I got about halfway across, I quickly turned to look over my shoulder and there sat three of them on the edge of the brush right at the fenceline that I crossed.
I'm sure there was a fourth, and maybe a fifth, but those three just sat there all focused on me with their ears pointed, and listening. If I wasn't at 125yds, I'd have flung an arrow at em'.

Another similar incident happened 2 yrs. ago out back of my house, hunting on my "island". After coming out into the field, to cross it, I stopped at the farmer/owner who was plowing, to shoot the breeze with him. With the tractor running and all, they sounded off about 75yds. back in the swamp, and I'm sure they followed me to within that distance.

They're getting real "ballsey" I guess.

Take care,
Bob

Bob, thanks for some well written input. "Ballsey" translates to dangerous to me when it comes to a predator like the coyote. I hope the DEC rethinks and puts a no season on them here in NY like all the other states East of the Mississippi. Regards, Mark.

I had a very similar instance here in Erie county NY many years ago... Just that it happened the other way around... on my way to my stand. The difference was when the figured out what I was the barked/howled and ran off. They must have heard me and thought I was a deer at first. I tell you in the complete darkness when they lit up with all that noise it made me jump out of my skin.

Over the years as a cop, I tangled with some pretty nasty domestic dogs on compaints, and I can only imagine what a wild coyote could do if he put his mind to it.
Although smaller than many domestic dogs, being of the wild variety, it puts a whole new meaning on the word "vicious".

Normally, if you turn on them and stand your ground, they'll back off. Especially standing upright. Carrying a handgun, or rifle, I'm not too bothered. But with a bow, things could get a lot more personal, if you get my point.
I've read some pretty nasty incidents from the midwest, and west coast area's where young toddlers were snatched and dragged off, as well as domestic animals being attacked.
I also read that coyote's have a "tracking history" which meant that if they spotted something that they considered prey, and didn't have the opportunity to take it, they would return to that location at a later time for another try.
The particular story I read involved a young child playing in yard, while the father was working outside. He heard the child crying and turned to see the coyote dragging the toddler off by it's leg. The father chased the coyote down, who in turn, dropped the child. Within the following day or two, the coyote returned and was seen sitting off the yard at a distance waiting for another crack.
Naturally, the coyote was shot.

They've always been described as an animal of opportunity, so I don't put anything past them.

Take care,
Bob

I've heard of a similar occurrance of a bow hunter being "investigated" by a pack of coyotes on a friend's land in Sullivan Co. He got down at dark and was walking back to his ATV when he heard some yipping & barking behind him. Turned around and put his flashlight beam on 3 sets of eyes within 50 yards! He told me the story last year and still got shook up remembering that evening.

That is not coincidence in my book. People smell like people and we all know that you can't fool a coyote's nose...
They knew EXACTLY what they were following...
a target of oppurtunity.

I have actually witnessed a planned attack by a pack of coyotes on a small herd of deer in a swamp while hunting in PA. I don't know if they got one, but four coyotes came from two directions and converged on the deer in unison. It sure looked to be a calculated attack.
I shudder to think what the outcome would be if those coyotes pulled that tactic on a unsuspecting human...gun or no gun.

I wouldn't put anything past them either.

Walking to/from stand in the dark has a whole new dimesion to it now...

2yrs ago, I was "investigated" by four courious coyotes while bow hunting. I had walked to my tree stand that I had set up the night before on a tree I had picked out (climber tree stand). It was early morning and still dark out. It had rained the night before so the leaves where wet and not crunchy. I quietly made my way to my stand and began tieing my bow string to my bow . I had this Eeerrry feeling like someone was watching me, so I looked over my shoulder to find four sets of eyes spread out on the trail I just came in on. At only 20 yards away I knew it wasn't deer, too low to the ground. I shined my light to see the ears,tails, eyes of Coyotes. I first shouted and made noise and they did't run. Then I got scared. I tried to shoot them with my bow but could see my pins through the peep sight. I then jumped into climber stand and flew up the tree. I shined my light around and didn't see them around, but when I shined the light down at the base of the tree there were two coyotes looking up at me.
I climbed even higher after that. I waited til light and a few hours to get out of there. I don't think I was ever that scared. There is no telling what they wanted. Did they follow me? Did I bump them? Did we just cross paths at the right time? Thats what got me to start hunting Coyotes. I got to admit I am a little edgy walking to my stand in the dark now.

ciao,

I think that's the general consenseus among most hunter's that head out in the early dark hours. Hate making it sound like we're all afraid of the dark, cause that isn't it, but being wary of the possibilities is a reality. More times than not, they're just curious and come in to investigate. But when they don't bolt at the sight of you, it kinda makes you wonder what the hell they're thinking.
Am I food or what ?

I use to get a little jumpy a few years back, especially after hearing that their populations were getting larger, and when I had that episode of them following me out. I think anyone of us could deal with one, or maybe two, but if you get 3 or 4, or more, on you, and they've decided that your dinner, now you got your hands full.
We're not mindreaders, and trying to figure what they're thinking is impossible.
An encounter with a pack of them at the very least, could end up getting you a good bunch of stitches and a series of rabies shots. Worst case senario, well.......you're lunch I guess.
I had the shots........they weren't fun, and lasted for the period of several months. The first series was 6 shots (immediately), and then 1 shot per month, for the next four months.
Sore a$$, sore arms....etc.

Up here in the northeast, it's a whole different issue than out in the west, or midwest. I really don't put anything past them. Before my meager experiences, I wouldn't think it would've been an issue.
Now, with the packs they run in, (especially at night) and seeing several kill's they've made (coordinated deer and fox kills), it's made me more wary. Watching 3 big coyotes pull down a full sized doe was an eye opener. She was more than likely sick, but she was still on her feet and fighting.
Usually it seems, there's only 3 or 4 of them at the most, but 2 years back, Dennis and I saw at least 6 in two seperate groups running seperate edges of a ridge. I'm sure they were all the same group, just split up for hunting.

Anyway, overall I don't get too worked up anymore when I hear them around the area I'm in while in the field, but when they're in the immediate vicinity, like a few yards, yep, I get a little edgey. The dark just adds to it, cause you can't pick them out very well.

Following you to the base of the tree you're in would get me a little nervous....no doubt.

Take care,
Bob

HI,new here.I live in lafayette ,onondaga county.New to calling coyotes but did alot of calling for coons and foxes back in the 80's and 90's.

welcome gcw! alot of reading here to learn. and just to warn you... it is very addicting, just ask my wife! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hickerx2, i do alot of hunting down your way in franklinville and lyndon. you been seeing alot of coyotes? i'm actually going down this weekend. i got a turkey a couple of weeks ago down there and i didn't see alot of coyote or fox sign around, but last year i did. never connected on a coyote but managed to get one fox. the deer sign is poor also. turkeys seem to be doing okay i guess, at least where i've been hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif good hunting!!!

hicker,

Welcome to a great place for predator hunter's to hang out.

Being that the coyote's are up in your area, and all else is down, they must be eaten pretty good, and it just goes to figure I guess.

Time to go out and return balance....eh ?

Take care,
Bob

GCW,

I figured sooner or later, that someone from my old county (besides Danurve) would chime in.

Welcome, great place for hunter's to hang out.

I used to hunt northern Onondaga, eastern Oswego, and Jefferson counties. Lived in Mattydale and N. Syracuse for a good portion of my time there, but spent most of my free time up in Parish on the family farm shooting, hunting and fishing.
The hunting is either real good down around southern Onondaga Co., where you're at, or well up north of N. Syracuse into the Cicero area.
Too populated in the middle I guess........probably where most of the coyote's are anyway.....lol.

Take care,
Bob

Hey guys, what's going on?

Haven't posted a whole lot lately. You know the deal, work, domestic obligations and other stuff gets in the way. I will say that I've been in the woods and seeing plenty of deer. But shooting them at night with a light may not be acceptable with the game wardens.

Have seen fox 3 times but can't put it all together. Last night had one come running in and the (*&(*%$$% wind switched on me. Boy was that frustrating.

Anyway, I'll be at it again this evening. If it comes together you'll be the first to get the news.

Good hunting.

hey freebm, good luck tonight. just got home now and i'm debating grabbing my stuff and doing a quick setup before dark. would like to do a nite hunt, but don't really like going out alone! well anyway good luck!

Last edited:
Finally bloodied up my new Bowtech Friday morning on this 9 pointer. I have been passing up alot of bucks for the past few years and this one I couldn't pass.
448857.jpg

448858.jpg

Hey Guys, you may want to supplement your gear at night with a can of pepper spray. It's does not reach far, but if they are in close to you and they get a good face full of it, or just some in the sniffer, they will "beat paws" out of there. Just a Thought. Mark.

Outdoorsjoe,

Looks like you made a good decision there.

Nice buck and well worth the wait........

I've switched over to doing the same thing. Wait for a nicer buck rather than take a scrub just to fill the freezer.

If nothing shows, towards the end of the season, I might pop a doe, or if a buck of a decent size shows itself. I got selective before, and I ended up passing up some nice bucks that I kicked myself later for not taking. But, I've gotten into the habit of letting them live to maybe sport a bigger rack for the following year (hopefully).

Within the last several seasons, we've gotten a lot of hunter's out from the cities (no offense intended) that'll blast bambie's, or anything that comes running by. I mean hunter's (using the term loosely) that only get out once a year and will fill their tag with anything, just to do it. I guess it's within the law (sometimes) but man, some of those deer strapped across the cars heading back are tiny.....yearlings really.

Worst thing is, a couple buddy's from up around the cities (Buffalo & Rochester) that have worked the local dumps, have told me that during deer season, they've seen deer carcasses (some with their horns cut off) laying out on the dump not even gutted.
Man, if that isn't a sin (or fodder for the PETA folks) I don't know what is.

Anyway, starting to rant......nice bowkill there.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Take care,
Bob

Perri,

Nice to see you.......thought you disappeared there man!

I've been out seeing the average doe's, yearlings and scrub bucks out back. Nothing substantial yet.

Apparently the fox population is up, as I've called in one with a bullet call that "sureshot56" sent me, and yesterday morning, when letting my dog out, there was a nice grey standing just a few feet in front of my shooting bench. It was a big male with a large full tail. He froze when he saw me open the door and my shepard/lab mix was focused right on him until I said "sic em". Even though the fox bolted as soon as the dog leapt off the porch, my pooch covered the distance fast.......the fox escaped, but I had a good laugh.

It's cool to watch them run, and that fox, with a swish of it's tail, made a 90 degree turn on a dime after running about 60yds.
He made the turn so fast, and my good ol'e mutt was rounding a bush that he never saw it.........kept running straight......I laughed like a fool.

I gave him a treat anyways........

Take care,
Bob

Back