NYS Coyote Hunters

Goose, I'm in Tioga and where I am I hear the yotes on kills and otherwise at least twice a week just by opening the door. But your right, getting them in can be a different story. I use the same CALLING (as opposed to set) techniques at night with the yotes here that I did in the west and mid-west. Get yourself a good HAND TUNED REED hardwood or cow horn Howler. Hone your calling with in. It tends to really p-ss them off so much that there is an intruder in the area that many times they wll abandone their usual cautiousness. On the response, go into pup in distress mode. A good open reed howler, a good open reed distress call and good cottontail bullet call (or closed reed) distress can many times change your luck here with yotes. Best of luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gifMark.

sureshot,

Heading out this afternoon for a little venison R&R, and since I'll be heading into the thicker swamp stand, I'll tote along my .44 Hunter again.

Towards dark, if nothing shows itself, I might wail on that bullet call (new favorite) to see if I can get another showing on that nice fat fox. It's a female, but she was big and fluffy anyway.
I might grab the solid SWC's for her, rather than smack her with one of my cast HP deer loads though.
If I can get meat in the freezer soon, I can start taking along my .17HMR, or another handgun to start my predator hunting early.
Maybe I can head down your way in another week or two and we can go kick some bushes. Dennis is always up for some new area's, and I'm sure he'd like to meet up to put the smack down on a few critters.

Suppose to be warmer & nice today so the critters will be out feedin' I'm sure.

Take care,
Bob

Handgunr, Hope you had luck on your venison R+R. That red sounds "ripe for the pickin." Hope the bullet brings her in again ifn you go to calling after deer time expires. Would be great to do some bush kickin with you and Dennis. Been out of the boonies for the last couple day but hopefully be out by Fri. Regards. And to all a Happy Thanksgiving, Mark.

goose,

Nope, no action...but thanks anyhoo.

I got the bullet call from sureshot, who's friend Kerry Carver, of Carver's Calls' in Utah, makes them. It's a modified .22-250 case where the primer end is reamed out, and the reed is placed in the neck. You don't put your mouth on it directly, but you hold it clenched in your fist, and blow with your mouth placed on the cupped part of your hand. Kinda like when you blow into your fist to warm your hands.

I cup my left hand underneath my right when I'm blowing, and I can get some very realistic sounds with this call. I've heard rabbits getting killed by hawks and owls more than once, and like many have said, the store bought calls sound nothing like them.
This call is probably the closest, if not the easiest, to duplicate that real sound with.
The beauty of it for me is, I can get that real raspy cottontail squall out of it and the volume isn't that real bullhorn wolume. Most of the time, to get that particular squalling sound, you gotta blow hard, which equals loud. With this bullet call, you don't. You can blow hard to get that sound, and it isn't that bellering volume, which in my opinion, seems to make many shy away from coming in.

The first time I tried it, I gave a known fox (who's difficult to call in) a short series on it, doing my best to sound lifelike. She was surprisingly there within 3 mins. and she had to cover almost 250yds. from her suspected densite. She's one leary fox, as my partner Dennis and I hunt around her all the time. We've kinda left her alone for the most part. But it was surprising to see her come running in like that. She wouldn't do it to our other calls......even newer one's we had gotten since.

I remember the oldtimer's making them, and I hadn't seen one in sometime. Sureshot's friend Kerry has got a winner with this one, I think.

Mark,

It's 4:22AM, Thanksgiving day and I've been up since 3:00. Too much hunting yesterday, so when I got in.....well, you know the drill.....ate supper and fell asleep.
My wife just tosses the cover's over me and tugs my glasses off....(from watching the Outdoor Channel, or the History Channel....LOL)

With the anticipation of many hunter's out this morning, I'm going to head to another stand in the brush patch just out behind my place. Oddly enough, the deer head for it when the pressure gets hot....and hopefully, I'll be waiting.

Gotta get coffee'd up, so talk at you later....

Take care,
Bob

My buddy shot this nice one on a drive last week with the pistol.
452196.JPG

Handgunr, ya know. I think you know that call better than I do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Yep, know the drill well (removal of glasses , pillow over the head, etc.) Anyway, hope ya did well yesterday morning. Thought I would have heard more shots down here yesterday while gettin Thanksgiving eatins put together. But not a one. Must be hibernating for the day. Think I'll see ifn the reds are in the bunny/grouse thick stuff in a little while-------------time for some JOE!! Regards, Mark.
Goose, Best of luck in them thar hills with them teethy critters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

outdoorsjoe,

I can fully understand the BIG smile on your buddy's face.
Very, very nice buck....I can see he took him with what looks like a Contender (Pachmayer doesn't make a grip for the Encore...yet).
What caliber, do you know ?

Man those back tines are long and polished...haven't seen one like that in a long time.
Lucky Boy..............

Mark,

That call is a winner. Way back in the day, old timer's used to make them. I remember seeing them when I was a little toad.
Anyway, it works, and works very well too.
Before I got that bullet call off you, I was pulling the reed out of my squeeker bulb to try and mimic a smaller distress call without a lot of volume.

Well now I can leave that squeeker alone, cause' this call works sweet.
I wish I had it yesterday morning, because when I headed out to the brush patch to catch deer crossing from one area to another, I ended up catching sight of a nice large male red fox crossing the open potato fields.
He came out of the swamp at about 350-400yds. to my west, and coursed over the fields looking for mice I guess. He followed a diversion ditch south to a driveway over the drainage that connects that field, to the one I was in, then he headed straight up the edge towards me.

At that point, all I would've had to do was blow that bullet call lightly, and he'd have been in my lap. I didn't want to screw up my deer hunting at all cause' it was still early, and I had my 7mm08 Striker in hand, so smacking that red would've left me with a lot of sewing to do. I don't want to make them any wiser to that call either, but it would've been nice to see how far off he could have heard it.
And, as an afterthought, since it was so far off, I could have visually watched his response.....you know, how quick, etc.
Well, it looks to be a promising year, and this call looks like it'll get some use there Mark.......thanks again.

Take care,
Bob

Good.....at least you got out.

Me.....I got rattled outta bed by my sons alarm clock, which he set and forgot about. This was at 4:45, after about just 4 hrs. of sleep, and maybe 4 the night before.
Man was I bushed.......

My wife had to go into work at 4:00AM (Black Friday stuff), and when I finally rolled my butt outta bed to give him hell.....he was out snoring on the couch with the livingroom TV running.

Kids.............man!

Needless to say, I crawled back in the rack, and chased fox & coyotes in my dreams.

Did you nail anything ?????????

I got some loads to work up in one of my handguns, but come this afternoon, I'll be back out in the tree with the same gun maybe (14" .357 Max Contender).

Killed a lot of vension with that gun.

Well take care and talk at you later.

Bob

Handgunr,
I think he is shooting a .35 Remington. He ended up shooting it at 100+ yards, I wont say how many shots it took. I don't think I have ever seen a deer as nice as his, it gross scored a little over 140 with only 8 points. I wish deer season was over so I could really get after the coyotes and fox, they are much more fun.

Handgunr, sounds like ya had the "hair of the bear" in ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Yep, took a nice male red that came stormin down the small stream bed that dissects the thick stuff to the rabbit distress calls. Because of the overhangs only useful weapon is a shotgun. Hit him with #4 buffered shot. Now he's singin the "Predator Blues." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hope ya get out this morning. Regards, Mark.

Joe,

I did a lot of load work for my ex-brother in law's 35 Rem. Contender. That thing was a pile driver, if handloaded. A lot of the factory ammo is loaded for rifle use, using bullets that aren't really condusive to handgun hunting. I used handgun bullets in the 170-180gr. range, and man did that thing rock.
I use the .357 Max, and it's only about 100-150fps slower, on average, but it uses almost half the powder of the .35 Rem.
More efficient overall.

Well, hopefully it didn't take too many shots for it to go down.

Speaking of that....I'm heading out this morning with the old Maximum. Had to blow the dust off of it as it's been sitting on the shelf for the last couple of years. There's been a lot of deer killed with that gun I'll tell ya.

Mark,

As I get towards "Jurassic Age", it gets harder to get up in the mornin', and much easier to hit the sack. Hell I think I can sleep anywhere, at any time nowadays.

Good score on the red's........things look good for them so far this year. A lot of sign, and seeing them out is a good omen.

But, like you & Joe, I'm in the same boat......I can't wait until deer season is out of the way, and I can bring out the specialized artillary......

Take care....time for coffee..and Dennis will be at the door soon.

Bob

Bob, understand completely. What I'd give for 8 straight hours!! Well, such is life. You and Dennis have a great morning in the boonies. Oh, the Greys are there, just got to call them different.Regards, Mark.

To all:Since I am relatively new to this thread. I was wondering if anyone here has ever brought up forming a state wide NYS predator hunters organization for hunts, picnics, get togethers, etc? Thank you, Mark.

mark, good job on that red fox!! lookin' forward to using that bullet call soon. it sounds really good. i'm probably going to wait till deer seasons over to give em hell!!

mark, as far as a nys predator hunt, bark at the moon coyote club has a predator hunting contest held in jan. or feb. here is the website....
http://members.tripod.com/lewand/barkmoon.html

surshot56,

Yes, Bark at the Moon Coyote Club may be for you!

It is a free internet-based club that hosts the Western New York State Predator Hunt each January and gives seminars around the area. Our forums are basically local to NY and you can hook up with others or check out the regional action with the online coyote log.

The next seminar is Decmber 9th at the Gadner Mountain in Henrietta an one lucky person is goint to WIN A FREE FOXPRO CALL THERE!

hey handgunner do you have a pic of that bullet call
sounds interesting.

outdoorsjoe.
nice deer ,looks old ..all grey in the face ..like me...LOL

Back