NYS Coyote Hunters

Mark:

I can see someday we're going to have a long conversation about the climate/movement/reproduction thing. Here it is almost Christmas and the temperatures have been near 50F everyday and not a bit of snow any where. If that isn't global warming, I don't know what is.

Bob:

Congratulations! You did the right thing. I found something out the other day that I didn't know. If there is an animal on your property that is causing malicious damage to said property, you may take them. So you can always say the deer where ruining your apples....LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank you for the info on the maps, guys. I knew there was some place they have all this info, I wasn't sure where. I will go to the local town places tomorrow and see what I can find. I see how having a plot number (or whatever) would be an advantage. I am under the assumption that these should be public files (but you all know about assumptions)....I'll let you know what I dig up. Thanks again.

John: Looking forward to that conversation on global warming and its effect on the ecology,environment, movement, niche, reproduction, etc. You have hit the nail on the head again. I simply can't see how it can be "denied" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif anymore. Regards, Mark.

RC,

I can't remember the DEC law reagarding the taking of game that is destroying property, but I vaguely remember that you had to be in the "business of" sometype of agricultural venture for profit, like a farmer, or have some acreage of some sort.

Sounds odd, yeah I know, but there was stipulations on it. Otherwise, every "vension short" hunter, like me, would be out whacking deer out of the flower bed.....come to think of it, that ain't so bad.....hehehe.

I remember you had to apply for a permit back then, but that might've changed.

Oh yeah, regarding the maps.............those will be held at your county clerks office, not the town. You'll have to go to the "county seat" and request to see a certain area if you don't have the map numbers. There's also websites on the "net" that you can view satellite photos of the areas you want to hunt. That's really cool stuff as you can overlook the different blocks of trees and brushy area's to better plan your hunt.

Here's one;

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/

Take care,
Bob

Bob+Rc,Bob, I'm pretty positive you are right on the laws regarding killing deer for causing damage to property. I think you have to have 50 acres or more whether it be a farm,vineyard, etc. I'm pretty sure you need crop damage permits then. But I could be wrong. Best to check with DEC. Oh, Bob check your PM. Regards, Mark.

good goin' bob!! congrats on the deer!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif now it's time for a little critter action! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

goose.

Thanks........now that I got that outta the way......I'll be out on the brush mound behind my place tomorrow first light.

I catch a glimpse of the fox crossing the fields just about every morning shortly after sunup while standing, "coffee in hand" at my glass doors.
The mound I sometimes sit is about 300yds from the back of my house, but it overlooks the brushy edges of the potato fields and they love to skirt the edges. I can see almost, but not quite 360 degrees. I can take shots well out past 500yds, if I had to, but to the adjoining field where the fox normally follows the diversion ditch, it's about 350yds. or so.
I'm good with that, but I'm more interested in sparking up the calls that Mark sent me, and see how fast I can get them to run in.

Post again tomorrow...

It'll be nice to get the .22-250 out and pull a rifle trigger again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Take care,
Bob

Bob, Mark & Goose:

I think you're correct in thinking there's a stipulation. And I think it's different for every county. But none the less the law is the law. You'd have to find out where to find that law in your county or town/village/what ever. But it's there and might just be away of legally taking an animal on your own property. Oh, and I think this law was geared more towards the farmer.
And on that note I'm now thinking of making some business cards proclaiming to be a predator hunter and passing them out from farm house to farm house. Never know....

Bob, sounds like you have a nice setup there. With coyotes in my own back yard I'm so tempted, but I'm in the town limits and am not about to break the law. My wife and I are constantly thinking of buying some land. We'll think more heavily on this in 8 months when the mortgage is paid off. We could easily afford land then. And yes! I love using Google Earth. That is a fantastic (free) program. I can zero right in on my house. Even see the fence around it. Amazing. I always look at it for land, you can't beat being able to zoom in from a satellite on property. I'll check out the TerraServer right after this, thanks!

Goose...We'll get there! Right after the holidays we'll plan an outing. I'm sure by then I'll have dug up some permission from some local farmers.

Mark...will send you an email.

Rc, lookin forward to hearing from you.
Bob, may the calling Gods be at your right hand tomorrow. I'll be out with the young troop in a couple.Regards to all. Mark.

RC,

Google is probably more up to date than the site I sent you. Don't know....

Some of the satellite photos on TerraServer are kind of dated I think.........

Regarding the ability to shoot in or around a populated area, villages are a no-no 90% of the time, if that's what you mean by "town limits". If it's truly out in the town part, then you shouldn't have a problem as long as you abide by the 500ft. law.
Houses and out buildings all fall under that law, except where you have permission by the landowner. He can waive it simply by giving you that permission, as stated in the DEC hunting reg.'s.

If it is actually within the village limits, I'd find where the limit line is (as close to the coyotes as possible) and hunt just off it. If the coyote's are within earshot, they'll head your way. I usually start with a low volume and work my way up, so eventually I hit the "happy volume level".
Usually, most guys on here use a smaller caliber to smack them with so as not to get the nearby locals all riled up.

The idea to print cards, or just by word of mouth, to get your message around, is a good one. You'll be surprised at how many farmer's that maybe don't have the time to hunt, want them gone. Especially if their livestock are harassed or shadowed by coyotes on a regular basis.
They love sheep....I know that much. Many have been shot off a sheep farm on the north end of our county. The love the baby lambs......

Well gotta head out to buy shelving for the reloading room.....doin' a makeover after watching TLC.....hehehe.

Take care,
Bob

Bob+Rc, if you are "zoned agricultural" and stay within the 500ft+ law as Bob said-- You should be legal and not get on anyones bad side. Outside of that, definately asking for big trouble as Bob said. Best, Mark.

Gang,

With deer season over, it is time to get after them. So tonite, I planned an all nighter! On the first set up, I called in this prime male with the foxpro at 10:45 PM. I shot it at 150-200 (I'll go back and range find like I always do). I was fired up! When I went to the second set up, I found that my brand new Lightforce light was BROKE!!! My night was over as I can't fix it!

Unreal! I'm bumming, but I got a nice fox...
458592.jpg

Nice going Andy......

Hey at least you scored, and even though you couldn't make it an " all nighter", at least you won't have to call in sick tomorrow.....LOL.

I hate it when equipment takes a sh*t on you.....if your caller goes, than yeah, you can switch to handcalls. But the light ????...well you're pretty much sunk.
I use my handcalls probably 80-90% of the time, and I bought my e-caller to record my handcalls and use them as a hand's free system at night when I want to work the light as well. I can always use the handcalls if my e-caller quits, but if my light goes.....well, so do I...back home I guess.

It's 5:00AM now and I'm heading out for a few hours in the back fields. More than likely, the local fox will show up without a peep outta me. He's out mousing in the fields a lot lately. I'm really gunning for one of our local coyotes, but I usually hold off for an hour or so until the sun gets up a ways, and the light sharpens the surroundings.
Then I rattle off a few light calls and wait.

Well....again, good goin....you can see by the smile on your face that you're in your happiest state of mind though........

Take care,
Bob

Bob:
Yes, Google Earth is way updated. Try it if you get a chance. It's a small download and runs like a regular program. But it has great features. If you want to go from point A to B, it will draw a map and actually 'fly' you across and above the route, showing you every street and where to turn. Very nice. I can pin point the fence around my house, which is getting very close to the ground with this program. I'd have to say 80% better than TerraServer. Just go to Google and you'll find it. Google Earth.

Also, Bob & Mark, you're right. I need to find the town limit line (which should be close to me). I didn't get to the clerks office yet, but I'll get there this week and see what I can dig up. If nothing else I should at least find the town limits. Getting permission is much better all around. I thought of the business cards because I don't want to walk up to the farmers door and first thing they think is I'm selling something (which I'm not). But you guys are right, they don't have time for hunting. They're way too busy with their animals giving me a good chance to get a yes (especially when you tell them your NOT hunting deer, for some reason they hate that).

BHW: WOW! Nice one! Way to go. Sorry about your light, but I'm sure you'll get it taken care of. It's just Murphy's law, you want to be hunting through the night, but something always goes wrong at the wrong time. At least you got a nice fox before it went out.

yeah, that is a nice fox andrew! congrats! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

i'm sure that you can get that light fixed,it's just a bad time for it to take a dump on you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

bob, hope you connected on something today!! it was a nice morning! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Handgunr,
I was out in your neck of the woods yesterday looking for coyotes in Sonyea State Forest, you ever have any luck there? I called a few spots with no luck, but it looked good. Around my area I called in 7 fox the other night and not 1 coyote, I'm starting to think we might not have very many coyotes.
458678.jpg

outdoors,

Good goin'........nice fox....

Yeah, I've been over to Sonyea a year or two ago. I hunted on land owned by Red Kennedy of "Kennedy Farms". He owns probably 90% of all the bottomland from Sonyea to Dansville.
I haven't seen Red in years, and don't even know if he's still kickin'. Great guy...full of BS.

If you want to night hunt a great spot, get off at the Geneseo exit and head west on 20A. Pass through Geneseo, and just passed the college, about 300yds further after passing the village sign (you'll be heading south on "combined" Rts. 36/20A) you'll want to turn right at the first "only" right which is Rt# 63.
Head out 63, crossing the bridge (Genesee River), and about another mile or two down, take a left on
"Chandler Rd.". About 1 1/2 miles up Chandler will be a dirt road named "River Rd." (first left).
Head down that road until you come to a huge solid patch of thorn apples on your right about a 1000yds long. For the best spot to setup around that thorn apple patch, just follow the road around it and you'll round a curve in the road to your right. Keep going until you see a yellow gate on your right (about 250yds.) to an old abandoned railroad bed. If the gate is closed, just walk around it. We never drive up the bed, (although physically, you can if the gate is open) because it spooks game, including coyotes. The gate and signs are there to keep non-locals out, but isn't really an issue.
Park your vehicle across the road (you'll see the area), and although you'll have a good walk, head up that railroad bed (about 1/2 mile, or less maybe) until you see open fields on your left. The first fields will be Aondowanda Sportsman's Club property, stay off there cause they're real sticky about trespassers. Keep on going until you come to a drainage that goes under the railroad bed, and you'll see an old dumpsite where appliances were dumped off by the owners at one time.
The plowed corn fields that the drainage runs into is "El Primo" spot for coyotes. They harbor in those thorn apples and right about now (just after deer season) if anything, they'll be out a lot at night nailing gutpiles. That area is a big deer area, and many of my friends take many deer in there. The gutpiles are plentiful and the coyotes really frequent it at night. The biggest coyote I know of was taken there several years ago at 67lbs. Another one ran 62lbs. taken with a bow. At this time of year, I've used howler's more than distress because of the obvious food available to them. No one I know of hunts it at night. I've taken hundreds of fox there as well.

Speaking of fox......Mark, RC, Andy, etc....
Opening day was banner....at least for fox....
Two killed.....One educated....
Fox Photo's

These two (mating pair) were taken across from my house about 800yds, in a deep gully/ravine called "Albro's Gully". There's always been fox in there over the years, and they usually respond quick.
I had sat the large field behind my place from sunup until about 8:45. After not seeing the usual fox that crosses the fields, I packed up and headed over to the gully where the two were taken. I shot them at 9:40.

Well Mark....that bullet call has pulled in 4 fox so far...and quick too.
Hunting the gully, the first fox, a female, came in within seconds after I started the first series. Probably about 15 seconds..maybe, if that. I shot her at about a 30 degree angle downwards and aimed slightly lower because of the grade.
Even though I aimed low, it still caught her in the lower neck......bang/flop right there. I was using my Encore rifle with the custom .22 Super Jet barrel and my 40gr VMax load. A small entrance hole with no exits...excellent performance so far, even at the short 30yd. mark.
Anyway, after a real quick reload, I started back on the call again and in comes the male all within 15-20 seconds. He came up the grade to my left and I couldn't get a shot because of the trees. As he cleared the trees to my left about 30yds, he stopped and looked at me (big mistake), I delivered another round to his chest/neck area....down he went. Both foxes were shot and down within a minute or so total.

I called for a few more minutes, and nothing responded, so I packed up and headed for the house. After dropping off the two, I grabbed a quick lunch and then headed over to another spot on the road north of me. A spot Dennis and I call "The Mound". It's a huge mound in the middle of a very large potato field and to it's east about 150yds., it's bordered by a long woods that runs parallel to the field.
Dennis took his coyote there the year before last, and it's well known for coyote sightings.
We've seen fox there many times also, so I headed onto the mound and got setup. The winds had picked up a lot, and the sun was out and bright. I started calling to the east, and the wind was coming almost directly out of the south at 25-30+mph.
After a short series of calls (bullet call again Mark), and as I was looking towards the area that Dennis' coyote came from, I looked back straight ahead again and this beauty of a red fox came weaving through the trees towards me.
I was on the bordering edge of the mound, and apparently with the sun shining, the fox spotted me when he broke into the open field. He froze about 20feet off the edge of the woods and was looking straight at me. Either due to my silver matte scope, possible reflection off of my scope lens, or just my fat head or profile, he remained motionless.
Good thing my gun was pointed in his direction, I figured all I had to do was, aim and shoot.....yeah right. I had mistakenly left the scope on it's lowest setting, and, I needed to have a higher magnification to pick a better spot on the fox to aim into the wind a little. At low power my crosshairs probably cover 3 inches. A fox's chest is what, about 6 inches maybe ?
I couldn't move to crank the scope up, or didn't dare anyway, but I probably should've tried cause I screwed the shot and blew some fur off the little sh*t. The round skinned his butt I think, and I saw it hit the dirt bank behind him. Pretty much a clean miss. I watched him turn & burn, and afterwards checked the area very well....all appeared normal.
Spent the rest of the afternoon at our "Hermitage site" where we saw the nice "Red Coyote". He wasn't out and the day ended 2 down, one missed.

That's my hunting report (& novel) for the day.....

RC....the Gods did smile.....at least the Fox Gods.

Take care,
Bob

Oh by the way......

Andy, Joe.......

What are you guys doing with your furs ?

Skinning, drying & selling, or what ?

I quit skinning and selling several years ago when the bottom fell out of the fur trade, and I used to give my kill's to a local taxidermist buddy mostly. I just couldn't see doing all that work and getting a few bucks for it.
I remember when fox was $50-$75, and coyote was pulling at least $75-$80, when you actually saw and shot one. Back then they were very thin...anywhere.

I'd skin a few and dry them to test the market, but I was either getting "taken" on the sale due to not knowing what the market actually was, or the prices were still "on the floor".

Just thought I'd ask....

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, bhw, outdoors-------------nice critters all!!
Bob, you do that bullet call proud /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Great start to a great season amigo! Regards, Mark.

Greetings Guys,

Will probably be busy the next few days so wanted to wish everyone and NYS hunters in particular a safe and happy Holiday Season. That means Merry Christmas and Happy Wew Year to all. If you don't celebrate Christmas then I extend goodwill, happiness and prosperity also to you .

May everyone be safe and successful in our personal endeavors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Cheers,

Perri

Perri,

Same back at you......being politically incorrect, I'll proudly proclaim the same....still old school....

Merry Christmas & Happy New year......

....there I said it.....

I still believe in Santa, and he lives at Gander Mtn., or sometimes at my handloading supplier....hehehe
He antagonizes me all during the year by sending me catalogs from Midsouth, Midway and Natchez Shooter's Supply, knowing full well that I have no money....well, maybe that's Satan that does that one.....don't know.

Take care all & have a good one......
Bob

Back