NYS Coyote Hunters

Bob!!!!! No wonder I don't get any fox, they're all down in your neck of the woods. I'm jealous. To be able to head out the back door and walk aways and get two (almost three) fox in such little time is heaven. I know what I'm doing as soon as the mortgage is paid, we're going to be looking for land. (And that's only 8 months away, yea!) What can I say, congratulations.

Well everyone, I guess it's time for me to wish all of you (and some I haven't met on the board yet) a very joyous Christmas! May all of you and your families enjoy peaceful holidays.

Oh, and I believe in Santa too!

-JohnE

James,

It's a new piece of .22-250 brass with the reed pressed into the case mouth, and the primer section hollowed out to a large hole. Based on the brass case, it's smaller size, and excellent volume level, it's acoustic's are about perfect.
I've got other calls that have a great sound, but to get the right sound without all that volume, it's about impossible. Most of the time, too much volume can cause fox's, and especially coyotes, to hold up.....almost leary about coming in. Maybe they suspect that since the volume isn't normal, compared to what they've heard in their experiences in hunting, they won't readily come right in. I've heard rabbits in distress, rarely, but I have. Early on, even though I did hear it, I really didn't know what it was back then until I started predator hunting heavy.

Once I realized what it was that I heard, and remembering it, I can very easily duplicate it with that call. I can get a similar sound from my others, just not exactly the same, or with a nice level of volume.

Mark (sureshot56) is probably the person to explain them to you....he got me mine from Kerry Carver (Carver's Calls) in Utah.
I remember the bullet calls made back in the old days, but I haven't seen them in years.

I'm thoroughly sold after the short period of results I've had.

Take care,
Bob

Quote:
whats this bullet call you guys are talking about. could you describe in detail?

jk

JK:

It is a 22-250 cartridge with the primer taken out and some reeds put inside of it. Very small and works like you wouldn't believe. (Thanks much for mine Mark!)

rc,

Too bad you have to wait 8 months......there's an excellent 17 or more acre wooded property two places down from me (about 1/2mile).
It has a double wide and a garage on it, but the wooded area is what I wanted. For being a smallish piece, it is loaded with deer, turkeys, fox and the occasional coyote, and it's surrounded on the backside by a series of swamps loaded with game.
All the surrounding properties are open hunting as well.

One reason why I built my house down here.....

Bob

Bob and RC, I think you did a top notch job explaining the call /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
James I'll PM you a little later if you are interested.
Hey RC, that 17 acres Bob's talking about sounds awful tempting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Anyway, A Merry Christmas and Happy, Healthy New Year to ALL!! Regards, Mark.

bob and outdoorsjoe, congrats on the fox. you guys done good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif that bullet call is sweet isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifi'll be putting it to the test soon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

i also want to wish everyone a safe and joyful holiday!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

thanks handgnr for the description .i talked w/ sureshot on the phone and he's sending me one today. its' a Christmas gift to myself.)

now that im layed off ill have a little more time to call.
jk

I'm glad it hasn't been perfect calling weather, I blew my back out bowling at a work party the other day (how pathetic am I). I actually visited a Chiropracter for the first time ever, I hurt so bad.
Handgunr, I will probably check that spot out in Geneseo, my buddy pays out the butt for a hunting lease there so we should be in the area soon trying to reduce his cost per use for the year. As far as pelts go my friend dosn't mind skinning them, but we have yet to try and sell any at a fur auction.
Goose, I will be in North Collins on Chrstmas eve, Im bringing a gun and calls incase the wife gets in the Christmas spirit and lets me hit the woods, Its very doubtful though.
To all a Merry Christmas and hopefully Santa gives us each atleast 1 coyote for Christmas.

Andy,

Sat. morning and the rain died off. Rained all day yesterday so I spent most of the day scraping those hides a little more, and restretching them. Once I get the excess blood off the fur, I think they're going to be a top grade. We've seen a silver fox up at our Hermitage site, and I'm hoping to get a crack at him this year. He'd definitely be a full mount for me....never saw one in my life up until last season's end when he crossed the far corner out of range. Jet black in color, but the guard hairs are silver tipped, thus the name.

James,

Nice....you'll like it alot, I think.

I just pinch mine between my thumb and first knuckle of my forefinger, and then slightly cup the bottom in my hand. I can either double handedly cup the call with my left hand and tailor the sounds a little more, or I can do it single handed and cup my lower hand around it on the end.
Although not as fancy using one had as it is using two, it doesn't change the sound of the call at all, just the way you accentuate the sound.
Being that the volume is more realistic, and getting a great sound using only one hand, if we're hunting 2 up and I'm calling, I'll grab a short branch in the woods and swish it back and forth in the leaves with the other hand to immitate a thrashing motion.
This seems to excite the hell outta fox, and coyotes' too I'm sure. Snow on the ground is pretty much a "no brainer" and kills the thrashing affect, but I plan on adding an RC controlled decoy here in the near future. I got to try and pull those "hard to get types" out in the open one way or another.

Take care,
Bob

Hi everyone and thanks for all the great complements on the bullet call. My name is Kerry Carver maker of the bullet call now known as the swift call. I changed it to the 220 swift brass mainly do to more folks shoot the 22-250 than the swift and they were getting the cases mixed up with their shooting brass. It kept the same great sound. I recently brought out an extended range swift that is encased in wood so it is much simpler to put on your lanyard and to keep track of. Having never been back east im glad to see the success you are having there with the calls aparently it brings them in there as well as it does here in Utah. Many a coyote here has fallen to the swift call in the western states. A special thanks to Mark and Bob for giving them the test in the east. Merry Christmas to everyone and happy calling. Kerry www.carverpredatorcalls.com You can view more calls on the custom call builders forum

outdoors,

Sorry to hear about the back.....not to brag, but I'm a pro at self adjusting (chiropracters hate self adjusters) due to my disability which is permanent. My spine is a mess from top to bottom, and a good sneeze will toss it out of whack.
I was investigating a car accident when one kid plowed into me (1989), fracturing my neck and damaging my lower back. Then about 9 yrs. later (1998) I get tossed in the air by tree limbs being moved out of the road, following a tornado, and I landed back on my head in the roadway.
Well the sesond mishap did me in and they retired me on a permanent-partial disability of an 80% overall.......but, 100% from the job.

Anyway, my chiropractor has a nice new house because of me, I'm sure, based on the number of years and times I've been there. 3 times a week for the better part of 5 yrs. or so, and only randomly (3 to 4 times a month) after that.

Nsaid's like Ibuprofen, and naproxen sodium (Aleve), worked very well for me for many years...as well as Icy/Hot and all the other comfort fixes. Tylenol was a joke for me....great for headaches, but joint & muscle pain....nope. Hospital's dole it out like candy and it barely scratches the surface....

Good luck & hope you feel better for XMas...
Bob

Kerry,

Nice to see you here.....

Utah is a dandy of a coyote state and when I was out to help move my brother back from Clearfield when he retired from the Air Force, I was amazed at seeing coyotes laying dead along the shoulders of the roads.
I didn't hunt them as much back then as their populations in NY back at that time weren't very substantial.

I do carry the .22-250 (as most do), and even though I jokingly said that to Mark about mistakenly loading my call into the chamber, I took very conscious strides to keep it in my coat pocket and not in my specified ammo pocket. Being that I was mostly using it when calling with the rifle loaded, it never really was a problem though, but your Swift idea makes a lot of sense.
Like I said, I remember old timer's around here back when I was a kid (many years ago) making those calls up north. Being that they're made of brass, they have a particular tonal quality, as well as a realistic, or more natural level of volume which really works. Most of my bigger distress calls, to get them to sound "raspy", you have to blow them hard, which in reality means loud.

In my opinion, based on my time in the field, unless it's a real windy day where sound gets blown about, most calls are just too loud. I've experimented with other calls, and if I can get the volume to a reasonable level, and get the raspy distress sound as well, it seems to suck the fox right in. Although coyotes just don't usually come blasting in around here, their pace seems very hastened, and far less cautious.

Due to the population and food supply differences between here and your area, our foxes here probably respond more similarly to the way your coyotes do out there I'd guess. Coyotes up here for some reason, are far more cautious and less populated, but really get quite large.
Size isn't such a big deal for me, although I've witnessed some large one's taken just short of 70lbs., I'd just like to get a lot more shooting in, which is why fox are such a nice pastime..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

If you got the time to download it, I'll send you a photo of a long legged 62lb. coyote taken by my taxidermist buddy, using a bow. He nailed a 67lb.'r after that with a slug gun.

Take care Kerry & keep up the good work....
Merry Xmas to you & yours,

Bob

Wow, walk away from the keyboard for 24 hours and there's a pile of new messages! Any way, Bob, now I know why I liked you right off the bat. I'm retired on disability also. I broke my back and my neck! The back has has 2 major surgeries and I'm not supposed to be alive because the broken neck was a 'hang mans' fracture. Spent a week in intensive care for that one, but walked away when I shouldn't have. The story is a long one so maybe some day when we all get together for a hunt we'll all have something to talk about. And I visit the chiropractor twice a week, sometimes three but never less than two (or I just can't walk straight...) One more thing Bob, I'm interested in that land/property. If you can PM me the realtor and address I will call them. Thank you. I can make arrangements (especially since the mortgage will be paid off in 8 months) if this is what we're looking for. The creditors will love me...LOL!

I also see we posted about the bullet call one minute apart. We must have pressed the send button at the same time and you won. I could have sworn your post wasn't there when I made mine. Must be the computer gods.

Kerry..Nice to have you here. Nice bullet call too. Mark sent me one and it's just great.

Well you guys, have a joyous Christmas!

Last edited:
rc,

I'll take a run down the road tonight or tomorrow and jot down the info on the realtor and snap a couple of shots of the place, and the long shot of the property length that runs down the plowed field (east) side .
Other than the house being a double wide (on a poured slab), the place is pretty decent. I know the owner's very well (naturally) and there might be some price movement in it for that reason.
One of the locals told me that on really cold winters, the water might freeze up as the well is back in the woods, but I don't know if that's true or not. If anything, it's a small fix...been there, done that.
Anyway, it's not all that old. It's a log sided place and looks pretty "cabiney" if that's a realistic descriptive. I actually like the place overall. Very nice looking and well kept.

Realtor.com-Safford Rd. site

There's an old hunting cabin looking shed back in the woods (don't know how good it is, but as I recall it seemed fixable), as well as a nice log bridge running over the creek that also runs through the property. It was mainly built to run his ATV over it. The creek is loaded with turkey's in the spring and fall, and is one of the main trails that they use in the spring to get back and forth to their feeding areas. The woods is split between hardwoods on the outside field edge, and tall pines that run along the west side and creek area's. On the back of the property line there is a large wooded area that encompasses several separate swamps that are dry for the most part. This woods is owned by three or four separate owners that could care less if it's hunted or not, and the vast majority of game in this area harbor there, or pass through.

This part of Wyoming Co. has probably the best hunting in the county overall, and quite possibly in the general area.
Like I said, the main reason I built here.

I had been told in the past that this property was 17 acres total, but it says in the listing that it's only 12.3 or so. As with me, when you see it, you'll think it's far more, and I still wonder whether they got that right. I've hunted in and around it for many years, and I know the owners well. We aren't super close folks really, but good neighborly friends. I think the owner Rick had told me it was 17 acres, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, for $119k, if I had the cash right now, house and all, I'd probably grab it.
In all honestly, if the house was "stick built", meaning frame constructed from the ground up, it would be worth far more. Considering the land involved, and a "stick built" house instead of the double wide, that place would go an easy $150-$175k. My house is 1700sq. ft, built in 1995 with a two car detached garage on 2.36 acres and it appraises for $123k for he main residence alone. I just recently added 2.88 acres to it, and built a 3 car 30X40' shop on that new section, and both pieces added together, you'd be looking at $145-$150k total appraised value.

That's just giving you an general idea. Land out here, in comparison to anywhere near either Buffalo or Rochester, is cheap. That land, as it sits now, if it was within 15-20 miles of the city would easily be worth 2 1/2 times what it is out here, mainly based on the land itself. Man when I heard that some folks were paying what their house would cost in materials, just for the piece of property alone, I about crapped my drawers.

Not saying you would, but of you were to build a house yourself, like I did here, you'd save a bundle. My materials list, totally completed back in 1995 was about $57k, but I had also purchased the property prior to that, and the well and septic were already here.
Buying the property, drilling the well, putting in the septic, and building the house on "todays money" can be easily done for $75-$80k, and definitely less than $100. Minimum building lot out here right now is 5 acres.

I can babble on about this stuff for years, so I'll just shut my yap, and run down and get those photos and info for you.
Email them to you later..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Take care,
Bob

Merry Christmas, everyone! I hope that we all get a chance to get out and call! It's nice to see the pics on here!

Same to you Andy...

Hope you and yours have a good one.....

Mark,

Many folks from the cities, both Rochester, and more so Buffalo, are moving out this way, buying up wooded and brush properties and building camps. One guy nearby, bought a large chunk of combined woods and brush, and built a beautiful house and large shop on it that he calls a camp. Man, it's better than most homes around here. Anyway, he posts it heavy and calls it his "preserve". He's big into turkeys, and seems to hunt everywhere else other than his place.
Around here, we mostly hunt where ever we want, and respect the owner's property & wishes. It's very open that way. We respect each other's rights and although we always check with the owner's first, which they appreciate, they don't seem to mind as long as you abide by a simple and "common sense" set of guidelines. Basically, treat it as if it were your own I guess.

Most of the folks that move out from the cities have been conditioned differently from years of living there. They are very guarded when it comes to their property out here, and will post it heavily to keep everyone out, which is their right. I think most of us locals understand that.

The bad side of the equation is that, after doing so, then they'll run around and hunt everyone else's property that isn't posted, and won't let anyone set foot on theirs. I don't know why they have this mentality, but it seems to occur in the majority of cases I've dealt with over the better part of 20yrs., regarding complaints.
Comically, we've watched some post up a 3-5 acre piece of brush, which barely harbors anything, and then hunt all over the surrounding area, not by themselves alone, but with a huge gang.
This really pi$$es the locals off, and they can't believe the audacity of them regarding "hunting etiquette".

Trying to keep a humorous edge on things, they've even given them a name, which I've mentioned before....."city-it's"...say it fast, you'll get it.

The locals are great kind hearted types that'll give you the shirt off their backs and more, freely. And most don't even care if you hunt their land, or ask for that matter....but I still do, and I know they appreciate it.
I think when they see a particular behavior, like has been displayed by the folks moving out from the cities, although they are free with the use of their lands, they get irritated with the selfishness and disregard of them doing so, and they then post it keeping "all hunters" off.

Which in turn, means us as well. Like it has been said many times......"it only takes a few".......

A true "all season" hunter that seems to hunt all year for various types of game, not just the once a year deer hunter, whether from the city or not, doesn't seem to display these properties that I have seen. They seem to have more respect for game, property, and many other simple allowances that the occasional hunter overlooks.

Just my rant...pardon me, getting old....

Merry Christmas gang............best wishes

Take care,
Bob

Bob:

Why, thank you! You went above and beyond the call of duty on this. Much appreciated. I will PM you and tell you the story. A lot easier than taken up the board space.

I had to laugh about the 'City-its' (might have spelled that wrong) but I sure get the drift. It amazes me how SOME hunters will go to great lengths to hunt someones elses property without their permission and do it in large numbers. I know a wonderful couple that owns a nice home and property that's loaded with deer. But every year a group from the city will come in, never ask, but will tear up some of the property and if lucky take a deer or two. They just don't respect these folks land or rights and these folks would gladly give their permission to hunt the land, just don't mess it up and what you carry in, carry out. Very simple rules to live by. I don't understand what these hunters are thinking. And to top it off they're older adults that should know better. I'll get off my soap box now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Well, here it is Christmas eve. Have to get my behind going. I know we have to go to the in-laws this evening for festivities. And tomorrow will be the same. The only thing that is nice is being grandparents, as we get to go to their homes now instead of us doing it all. A very nice turn around if you ask me.

Everyone, have a joyous and safe Christmas.

Back