NYS Coyote Hunters

Welcome smallgame,

Although a little on the warm side (well alot for this time of year), the fox seem to be running pretty well, and still responding to calls well.

I've been spotting fox dens more this year than most, and it appears that they're in a population "upswing". Reportedly, from what many others have told me, the coyote populations seem to be up as well, but I haven't seen any particular sign of it myself. With no snow on the ground, it's going to be a little tougher seeing them coming in to a call, especially on the edges of plowed fields.
The snow always helps through wooded areas, as it contrasts their movements.

Oh well.......good luck Thurs. and hope you connect.

Take care,
Bob

thanks guys for all the kind words. yeah i started the year off pretty good! i agree with you handgunr, the fox are responding well but those damn yotes are so tough. and without snow, it's hard to even know there around if you don't hear them howling. atleast when theres snow on the ground, you can see some sign of them. hopefully next week the weather will turn a bit and we will get some white stuff to help us out a bit. welcome aboard smallgame, let us know how you did!!

dave (goose) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Smallgameguy:

You'll do fine. If there's a den and you know where it's at you've got half the battle won already. Good luck!

Hey guys:

We where talking about the warm weather for this time of the year and how it maybe screwing up the mating habits of critters. Well, just heard a blurb on the radio where some woman that studies these things where saying a lot of small animals that usually hibernate during this time of year are so mixed up they think it's spring and are starting to have their babies now. This means that there'll be very little to food to none to feed them and most will die off (especially if we get clobbered with a winter storm). Now I was under the impression that most critters follow the patterns of the sun and would know to hibernate even with this mild winter, but who knows? Just interesting stuff.

Have started to put the brochures in boxes. An amazing amount of land in my own back yard that's full of coyotes.

Rc:

Like I posted on the muzzleloader season and the does here were in heat. Now I walk out today to see my fruit trees are budding. Crazy!! Good luck with the brochures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gifMark.

the amount of light and the lenghth of the days are what kick off breeding in animals. same with salmon and steelhead.
my opinion anyway,
jim

Jim:
Are not the days (daylight) shorter now? Don't the salmon runs come in the fall? I saw those does stay around after the buck was gutted during late muzzleloader. The kill was made at 1600. Shooting hours that day were till 1635. It was 53 degrees that day. We had to shoo them away as we left and were dragging the buck. They WERE in heat. The sun was going down.I don't think it's the length of sunlight. Sunlight don't make my trees bud when it's sunny and 15 degrees in Jan? But it does when it's 50 and cloudy or sunny in Jan. I am not saying that sunlight has no bearing on this. It works on many levels, including the pineal gland. But something is way off, definately way off. Regards, Mark.

Last edited:
I know the weather has saved me from buying a new set of those expensive thermal undies..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Bob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

That made my day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Mark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Bob: That made my day too!

Mark: The fruit trees are budding? Now that's nuts! If we get that cold weather next week they're predicting it'll kill them right off. I heard a similar blurb on the radio this morning about the critters. Hedgehogs in England are coming out of hibernation and breeding. Locally, rabbits are coming out and breeding also. Skunks are coming out. This was all told by a local ecologist studying the effect of weather on critters. Has his hands full this year! LOL!
As far as the critters knowing what time of year it is, besides what was mentioned some do go by length of day & night, hence they follow the sun. Someone told me that they have a sense (we don't have) that keeps their biological clocks in order, but with 55 degree temperatures in a state that's usually covered with snow and below zero this time of year they (and us) have to wonder what's going on. I think it's more of a length of day thing other than another sense. But then again, what do I know? LOL
And speaking of days length, they have turned the corner and are getting longer now (hard to notice, but it's here).

Now for another laugh...I was out and about trying to stick those brochures in news boxes when along comes a sheriff. I was in my truck to the side of the road, blinkers going and he stops. Looks at me and asks if anything was wrong. I said, nothing wrong, just looking for some hunting land, officer. He put the biggest smile on his face and waved good-bye. Glad to see they care enough to stop and ask. Never know if someones in trouble.

-JohnE

Hey Fellas,

Been trying to get in a few stands here and there. Not killing anything but having a good time. I think I'm the best deer caller in NY though. LOL Seems like they come in to everything but howls. Last night one snuck up within about 10 feet of me. When I turned and saw it, I was so startled I knocked my rifle off my shooting sticks and dang near crapped myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif She was just as spooked but would we believe she came back within 10 minutes? I was ready that time though.

Got a new headlamp and it's sweet! No more worrying about the lamp going out and I can carry a smaller battery for the scope light. I can see DEER eyes way off. If you're looking for a head lamp check out the Mity Max or something like the Coon Hunters Favorite series. Only problem I can see is how to keep my head warm when it gets real cold.

Good hunting.

Freebm:

Is that Mity Max a Nitelight product? I've been looking for a better headlamp but could not find that in their catalog. Thanks, Mark.

Mark,

Check this site out. It has both lights and a few more. There are a few guys over at Bark at The Moon that recommemded lights of this type.

I was using and older style light and had purchased a 6 volt 18 mAh rechargable battery to power both the gun and head lamp. The old head lamp battery would only last ... 30 minutes or so and scanning with the gun mounted light was awkward at best. Not to mention having to carry a backback,etc, etc. Now I have two batteries (smaller and weigh less) on a belt. Scanning with the head lamp is easy as pie too.

Here's where I got my lamp from. Good luck!

Coon Hunters Favorite

Mity Max Light

went out for awhile today! I swear the only thing in the woods are squirrels and birds. Weather was over 60 deg/f
screwing up everything.

wjh Cassville ny>>>

Freebm:

Thanks much for the info. Had the same dillemma using a 6 volt. Plus carrying around "to much." Regards, Mark.

hollenbeck:

Same thing here. Plus all this $%^&^%&&%%%&& rain. Screwing up the hunting bid time. Regards, Mark.

Here's one from last nite at 4:10 AM. Came to Foxpro rabbit distress in a miserable wind storm!!!
463273.jpg

nice grey fox andrew, congrats!! miserable or not...it's still pays to go out!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanx Goose! Your pix of the reds got me fired up! Too bad, I had to miss all my shots. This grey was one unlucky canine... He broke my string of 10 misses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BHW:

Rather have a broken string of misses then more of them! Good shot! I know what you mean, it was so windy the past few days here, now it's raining again (just what we need, more rain)....Supposed to turn to snow, we'll see how long it lasts this time.
Congrats on the gray!
-JohnE

Nice grey Andy........!

I haven't had a whack at a grey in a long time. If I could get a nice male, I'd probably have it full mounted. Same with a nice fluffy male coyote.

My taxidermist buddy over near Geneseo does beautiful action mounts between two different animals. He's done fox vs. rabbit, coyote vs. fox, etc, etc.
Once I get my son's car back together, I'll be heading back out this week.

"Jack of all trades, master of none" I guess.

Take care & keep goin'.....
Bob

Back