Pistol caliber lever guns questions?

IndianaShooter

Hey Guys..

Just found out that here in Indiana we can hunt deer with the pistol calibers that we could always hunt with in a pistol. It never did make sense to me that one could shoot a deer with a .44 mag pistol, but not a rifle. Anyway, I guess someone listened up at the DNR and it's ok now.

Anyone ever own or do you know own a Marlin or Winchester or Henry in either .357 or .44 mag? If so, what did you think about it? How accurate? If I get one, I'm sure I"d put peep sites on it, or maybe one of the heads up red dot sites.. I'd be able to use it for 100 yard shots with more confidence I'm sure. I saw that CVA is selling a single shot in .44 mag, and it looked like it had a cool heavy barrel. I'm wondering how accurate those also might be in case anyone knows? Anyone own the Ruger bolt guns in the either .357 or 44 mag? The actual law says the pistol cartridge must be at least a length of 1.6" and not bigger than 1.625 inches I think it is.. They gave several calibers such as 44 special, etc, .357 and 45 colt, etc..

Any help would be appreciated..
Tim

Here's my Winchester 94ae... It's a 44mag

It has the regular sights but milk jugs and pop bottles at 100 off hand are usually no problem.

Go lever gun in 44mag and don't look back

1311131773.jpg

What really doesn't make sense is that you can shoot a deer with a pistol chambered in .243 but not with a rifle chambered in the same.

Anyway, sorry no experience with the rifles in the chamberings that your asking about. However, I second the .357max idea.

But if your a AR man and a reloader, DTECH makes an upper that is legal for Indiana deer, that I have always wanted to try.

If your looking to stay a little cheaper than that, the H@R handirifles are available in those calibers and I heard that they even had one in 500 S@W, haven't looked that up for sure though.

The one in the center is a Marlin CB 44mag with a Marbles tang sight I've shoot it out to 300yards on the Silhouette range with that sight. I wouldn't think twice about using it for deer out to 100-150yrds its very accurate and fast handling and feeds from 180gr XTP's to 300gr LBT WFN's without a hitch. I prefer iron sights on a lever gun but have thought about putting a nice reddot on this one.

P1000225.jpg

Originally Posted By: ShoesI have a Henry in 22LR, if they make their big bores like they make their rimfires, you'll be a happy camper.

hate to say but they dont....i used to do a lot of the cowboy action shooting sports. the henry big bores are not built as well as the rimfire guns at all. if you want a good one find a Marlin or an older Winchester in 44 mag or 45 Long Colt. there are some great reproduction gun models remaking the 1866 and 1873 Winchesters of the olden days..some of the best ones are made by Uberti but be ready these things aint cheap by any means. the last one i bought had a short stroke kit was a 20" barrel and was a 38 special caliber...thing cost me $1000 but was a beautiful gun. the Big bores like 44 and 45LC are a little easier and cheaper to find since most of the cowboy shooters like the smaller calibers for speed and cheaper to shoot.

Marlin .44s are excellent shooting guns and will definitley kill a deer out to 100yds. The .357 is accurate also, just never shot anthing but targets with one.

I love the Marlin 1894 .44 mag and although i have only used it for one year i have tottal confidence in it and it's abiltys...I have hit many ground hog out two two and even three hundread yards with 265gr Ranch dog hard cast bullets and it is a one hole gun at 50 yards all day long!
I wish I was able to use it for deer in my local season instead of a MZ loder or slug gun but yup pointy heads said no!
0730011209.jpg

0727012149a.jpg

0730011210a.jpg

0730011413.jpg

0723011423.jpg

0723011420.jpg

0723011423b.jpg

yes I love this thing....I think i shot around 200-225 ground hogs this year with it!! and on the cheap as you can see my loads are cast at home and I love that part too...with a Ranch dog mold (6cav)and SageOutdoors aluma checks I am loading for pennys and I am able to shoot thousands of rounds for peanuts!
Jonathan

Foxy and I were discusing this the other day. He and I both want a .357 lever gun. It would be fun with .38's for squirels!

I want a .45 colt, I believe. It would be a fun deer rifle! Or maybe just stick with a 44, IDK, yet...

Ah, HECK, all three sounds good too!!

I have an earlier Marlin .44 Mag and love the interchangeability of ammo with my S&W .44 Mag handgun...

Marlin.jpg

EngravedMod29.jpg

I certainly would have no problem hunting with that duo and since most of my shots would be reasonably close, accuracy is never a question with the open sights..

The only difference is that I normally shoot lead bullets in the Marlin and use jacketed ones in the revolver...

I have a Marlin 1894 .44 mag with a Skinner peep sight, and it will do about 3" 3 shot groups at 100 yards from a good rest. It is a great little rifle that is light and handles well.

Killer Guns.. Man, I've got to get one, but at my local shop they said they normally have 300 of them, but that this year the Marlin factory moved or something and they can't get any right now.. Where's a good place to get a used one online? Anyone.. Thanks guys..

Oh, what factory ammo would you folks use for Deer in Indiana/ I'm thinking I'd like to use a Huge bullet..for knock down power..

Tim

Stainless steel left in the white is WAY too bright for my liking on a hunting rifle. I would have to bead blast it or cerakote it.........

Back