Pistol caliber lever guns questions?

We only have a scientific educated guess as to what animals see, unless you have looked through their eyes you will never really know.....

We all have our opinions.... I'll keep shooting my stainless rifles, but that doesn't mean it's for everybody.

It all boils down to confidence in the gun.... Irregardless of it's color.

DSC_2057.jpg

Winchester M92, 44M.

You continue to confuse light with color.

That's okay, it doesn't matter. I just don't like in the white guns. Others are more than happy with them. And that's fine with me........

Originally Posted By: claimbuster
DSC_2057.jpg

Winchester M92, 44M.

That is what a levergun is supposed to look like. I'll take it over any SS/laminated gun any day.......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunYou continue to confuse light with color.

That's okay, it doesn't matter. I just don't like in the white guns. Others are more than happy with them. And that's fine with me........

If we're talking human vision you're correct about the "confusion". But hopefully for the sake of this forum we're talking about canine vision. Canine vision is entirely different because a dog sees very little differentiating color or varying light intensities in their world like we do. We see colors, they see movement, and they do it extremely well and far beyond our abilities to see the same thing. On the flip side, bright red, yellow and purple "camo" does not stand out for them like it would for us.

I too prefer walnut and blued or color case hardened lever action rifles over stainless ones, but they all have their place for the guy who wants to use one for hunting.

This is what a real lever action gun from the 1880's should look like. This one is in 45-60.

a9695eb92145bc27907462d7cc323b21.jpg

as for the OP question,a .44mag in my mind would be ideal for deer hunting as I feel it is a nice ballance between speed,range,power,light recoil,avalibility of components and store bought bullets and most important to me accuracy!

I have not hunted with the .357 in a rifle but I killed a 350-370lb wild boar with a .357 Ruger GP100 with full house+P JSP bullets and I was not overly thrilled with the performance,others with more experiance can chim in on it's use for deer!

Originally Posted By: Winny FanThis is what a real lever action gun from the 1880's should look like. This one is in 45-60.

a9695eb92145bc27907462d7cc323b21.jpg

Best looking Winchester out there IMHO...
drool.gif
drool.gif

Hello Indyshooter,
I have an 1894 pre safety Marlin chambered in .44 Magnum. I've used it to take a couple deer over the past few years, and it works just fine. The deer I've taken have all been at under 50 yards and have been one shot kills. I shoot handloaded Hornady 240 grain XTP bullets through my 1894. My particular Marlin seems to have an oversized bore, and is not as accurate as I'd like it to be. It has Marlin's Micro Groove rifling, which doesn't impress me at all. I have to load .431 bullets to keep it on a pie plate at 100 yards. As such, I've relegated it to a 100 yard and in deer rifle. Doesn't really bother me since hunting from tree stands in Indiana is a short range proposition anyway. I mounted a red dot site on mine and it works great. I also hunted for many years with a .44 magnum handgun. It too was a hammer on deer using 250 grain Winchester Partition Gold HP's. I always kept my shots to no more than bow range.
As for the shiney stainless argument? I have a hunting buddy that bought a Remington LVSF in .22-250 a few years ago. We'd never had problems calling coyotes until he started flashing that rifle around, we came into a long dry spell. I was looking at him from across a field one day and realized that his rifle looked like a lit up bill board. He camoed it and we've killed a few more coyotes since. On another occasion I was hunting with my Remington 700 SPS stainless, which has a bead blasted stainless barrel. I'd had a coyote step out at just over 200 yards across a beanfield. I was sitting in the sun, and got a bit careless as I brought the rifle up on the coyote. Just as I picked him up in my scope he darted into the brush. He'd no doubt seem my movement with the sun shining on that stainless rifle. Since then I put camo tape on all my stainless barrels. Polished or bead blasted.

Coyote6974,
great gun man...I have loaded for a doz Marlins and three Micro Groved Barrels and I can tell you that the most accurate levers I own are Micro Groved!
The MG barrel requires a bullet a little larger to fit well but if you are willing to use the right bullet the barrels are capable of some outstanding accuracy!
checkout http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/
for molds made for your gun!
and you will be shoked with the groups that are possible!
0727012149a.jpg

0719012148a.jpg

i dont know about lever guns but i have an h&r talo trapper in 357 mag and i couldnt ask for a better brush gun.but i would really like to have a marlin 1894csbl 357 mag.

Wilkerson have you shot any deer with your .357mag?
I have always been told that it is a little light for deer but then again, it sure is a big hole!

Originally Posted By: JonathanWilkerson have you shot any deer with your .357mag?
I have always been told that it is a little light for deer but then again, it sure is a big hole!

Realistically it's more deadly than when shot out of a revolver, and I wouldn't hesitate to carry a .357 revolver, if I pistol hunted.

YMMV.
smile.gif

I guess you are right Mike,as we are not able to hunt with handguns in Canada I have limited experiance with there efectivness on game from time spent in Ocala,Fla. when I was younger!
I have shot a truck load of ground hogs with my .44 1894 and I have seen three Moose and five bears that fell to the .44mag in Ruger Deerfields....that is a real hard gun to find here in Ontario as when a used one comes into the gun shop it is sold within min. and there are actualy waiting lists!..another reason I bought the 1894SS as I was not sure how long it would take Rem to straighten out the Marlin take over mess!
I will buy another one in in blued when I find a used one for the right price but for now I will just keep plugging away with the shameless steel model lol

My old man has a .357 Mag he used to carry groundhog hunting when he used his .243 religiously. When a GH would pop up really close/to close for the .243, it'd get the .357 freight train.

We just never did take a fancy for pistol hunting deer.
I know plenty of guys that have done it. Matter of fact, I think about 3 years ago, the 2nd biggest handgun buck in the state was killed with a .357 Mag.

It's more deadly when shot out of a rifle, but no rifle hunting deer here.
thumbdown.gif

It knows how, you just gotta give it the chance.
laugh.gif

it allways baffels me how they let me shoot coyote with a 338 Lapua if i wanted to but they have an issue with me using a pistol lever gun for Deer!
they will let me use a MZ Loader that can launch projectiles into next week though lol

Back