Remington Customer Service!

Here's Magnum Research response to the problem:

Quote:TO: All Magnum Research Customers
RE: .17HMR Semi-Automatic Rifles

Dear Magnum Research Customer,

It has come to our attention that certain lots of .17HMR ammunition may exhibit performance problems. These problems could result in damage to your rifle and may be capable of causing injuries to shooters or bystanders.

Although performance of ammunition is outside the control of Magnum Research, we take safety concerns seriously.

For any customer who has purchased a Magnum Research .17HMR rifle, and has a concern about this issue, please contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-772-6168, Monday-Friday 8:30-4:30 CST. By your request, if you decide to return your rifle, Magnum Research will either refund the purchase price of the rifle, or replace the rifle with an equivalent one in a different caliber.

As always, ensure you are wearing approved eye and ear protection anytime you are shooting, and consult your owner's manual for further warnings and information regarding the proper function of your firearms.

Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerHere's Magnum Research response to the problem:

Quote:TO: All Magnum Research Customers
RE: .17HMR Semi-Automatic Rifles

Dear Magnum Research Customer,

It has come to our attention that certain lots of .17HMR ammunition may exhibit performance problems. These problems could result in damage to your rifle and may be capable of causing injuries to shooters or bystanders.

Although performance of ammunition is outside the control of Magnum Research, we take safety concerns seriously.

For any customer who has purchased a Magnum Research .17HMR rifle, and has a concern about this issue, please contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-772-6168, Monday-Friday 8:30-4:30 CST. By your request, if you decide to return your rifle, Magnum Research will either refund the purchase price of the rifle, or replace the rifle with an equivalent one in a different caliber.

As always, ensure you are wearing approved eye and ear protection anytime you are shooting, and consult your owner's manual for further warnings and information regarding the proper function of your firearms.

Just an FYI - 2Gunner provided a linked to this same information back on Page 1....

-BCB

Quote:Just an FYI - 2Gunner provided a linked to this same information back on Page 1....

Okay, thanks, I should have caught that. Ran into it while researching barrels and copied it over here quick.
crazy.gif

I talked to a friend today that has a Magnum Research 17. He decided to
keep his. After telling them he wanted to keep it not cash out or change the
barrel they said, "keep the gas ports clean and there shouldn't ever be a problem." Make what you will of it but maybe it needs to vent some of the
pressure from the case is all.

maybe if remington decided to bring back the 591/592's and allowed you 597 coupon holders to apply...........................hmmm....i feel another topic....

Been following this thread for weeks. I can't believe a company the size of Remington wouldn't just offer to give people's money back, or give retail price credit to anyone that has one to exchange on whatever other rifle they want. To offer $200 is a slap in the face.

1. By not doing so, they lose WAY more in loyal customers than they would lose by taking care of them.

2. Half the owners of the 17HMR 597 wouldn't even want to exchange them. They'd keep them.

3. To ignore the problem is the absolute worst thing they could do.

Unbelievable.

4. They should send ME a firearm that works. Call it a consulting fee for good advice. I'm not even the first to point it out.

Guess Remington's deceided to wait untill the election results in Kabul are in to make a decesion???
I'm not convinced that Remington's the only party at fault here, but their lack of a simple explanation to Jeff's request is very disapointing.

To bad...

Jeff,

Has the new guy talked with you on this or even looked into it as far as you know?

Just wondering.

Skinner

Last edited:
Seems Remington looked at their warranty cards, received their written Product Safety Notice in the mail today. Same thing they've had posted on their web site.

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKJeff,

Did I miss a response to your request to rem about the "597 HMR Coupon Issue?"

DCK

No Sir, unfortunately you didn't.

I have been calling the "new guy" at Remington twice a week for about 2 1/2 months now, and he has not returned my call.

I'm still trying to get through. I haven't given up... At this point is has become a quest!

Originally Posted By: Jeff MockOriginally Posted By: DoubleCKJeff,

Did I miss a response to your request to rem about the "597 HMR Coupon Issue?"

DCK

No Sir, unfortunately you didn't.

I have been calling the "new guy" at Remington twice a week for about 2 1/2 months now, and he has not returned my call.

I'm still trying to get through. I haven't given up... At this point is has become a quest!

i have been watching this thread just to see what remingtons reply would be. 2 1/2 months and nothing?

i dont currently own a remington, and i can now say i never will.

Last edited:
Wow, that was a long read and I know it is an old thread. I may have missed this, but several posts reported abnormally loud discharges on some rounds. Does this happen in the bolt versions too, or just on the semis? I would think if it only affects the semis that maybe the ammo is being damaged during the firing process.

Does anyone know?

I guess it really doesn't matter. Silence from Remington is enough to clarify where the blame lies.

Back