shotgun for yotes

bkhcj8

I have a benelli nova that I want to start using while coyote hunting. I need advice on what choke and shells to use for best results. The gun will hold up to 3 1/2 shells, and it has a 28 in barrell. Thanks

If you do not want to buy one of the specialty chokes, I would just use the Mod choke.
I use T shot, BB, BBB, 00 or 000 buck, just whatever is available in any of those will work. Try and pattern a few different loads and see what works well with your choke.
I would use 3 1/2 inch loads myself, but many use the 3 inch.

For me personally, a modified choke is a good all around choke for a shotgun. For myself, if i need anything tighter than a mod choke i go to a rifle. But i do know some areas are restricted to shotgun only.

Last edited:
Kevinfarmer, you should read GC's post above on shotgun patterns, and it is a world class eye opener, the post is the best put to print on the topic of shot gun patterns bar none!

I knocked down a lot of coyotes in my early days with a browning BPS and Ithaca 37 LW with Modified chokes, they needed many more follow up shots. My ranges were usually 35-45 yards with Rem and Federal buffer plated #4 Buckshot.

I consider full choke bare minimum and extra full even better for lead #4 buck.

What ever you do, pattern your shotgun, 30,40, and 50 yards. Shooting most modified chokes with lead shot at 50 yards is almost like shooting blanks...almost.

If you reload your own shells, a load of high velocity lead "T" shot in a properly choked gun will make for a 100 yard gun. I shoot a Remington 870 with a 34" Hastings Wadlock barrel, and I have on several occasions put 15 or more pellets in a coyote at 100 yds., so it can be done.

What do those 100 yard patterns look like? How many pellets in 10" at point of aim at 100 yards?

Originally Posted By: 1ASSASSINIf you reload your own shells, a load of high velocity lead "T" shot in a properly choked gun will make for a 100 yard gun. I shoot a Remington 870 with a 34" Hastings Wadlock barrel, and I have on several occasions put 15 or more pellets in a coyote at 100 yds., so it can be done. this is where i differ, I'm not using a shotgun if a 100 yard shot is needed. ..i use a shotgun when I'm calling in the type of terrain that puts them in your lap. I shot one the other morning that was a 7 yard shot. And modified choke was way way to tight. I almost missed

I tried the savage combo gun one year. I just never could take a liking to it. I went back to carrying both as seperate firearms.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1I tried the savage combo gun one year. I just never could take a liking to it. I went back to carrying both as seperate firearms. yea, i too never liked them...great concept but didnt fit my needs well.

Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: 1ASSASSINIf you reload your own shells, a load of high velocity lead "T" shot in a properly choked gun will make for a 100 yard gun. I shoot a Remington 870 with a 34" Hastings Wadlock barrel, and I have on several occasions put 15 or more pellets in a coyote at 100 yds., so it can be done. this is where i differ, I'm not using a shotgun if a 100 yard shot is needed. ..i use a shotgun when I'm calling in the type of terrain that puts them in your lap. I shot one the other morning that was a 7 yard shot. And modified choke was way way to tight. I almost missed

At 7 yards the pattern difference between a modified choke and a cylinder bore with no constriction whatsoever is pretty negligible. Like maybe a couple inches. If you were to miss with a modified choke you would miss with anything else. But I'm with you on the 100 yard stuff.

I tried one of those savage combo also, hated the gun. I now own two combo guns and a drilling that I hunt coyotes with, just love them. Two triggers and a safety make all the difference, low mounted scope and instant selection of rifle or shotgun. No need for heavy shotgun loads as you use it for the close in stuff 1 1/4 oz of NP BB's rifle for the longer stuff, even an ounce of NP BB'd id just fine in my 2 1/2" 16ga.

16ga/16ga/6.5x58R drilling

12ga/22 Savage Highpower

12ga/5.6x50R Mag

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: 1ASSASSINIf you reload your own shells, a load of high velocity lead "T" shot in a properly choked gun will make for a 100 yard gun. I shoot a Remington 870 with a 34" Hastings Wadlock barrel, and I have on several occasions put 15 or more pellets in a coyote at 100 yds., so it can be done. this is where i differ, I'm not using a shotgun if a 100 yard shot is needed. ..i use a shotgun when I'm calling in the type of terrain that puts them in your lap. I shot one the other morning that was a 7 yard shot. And modified choke was way way to tight. I almost missed

I have had two brush my shotgun barrel laying in my lap, they were so close, and I have killed 6 with a 357 mag and 2 with a 45 ACP.

Modified chokes vary, the BPS was on the tight side and my Ithaca was on the open side. You know your terrain, and it is your hobby, have it your way. I have a modified double barrel that patterns like an improved cylinder and the IC patterns like a cylinder.

When foxes and bob cats come in, it is better to be over choked than under choked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1ASSASSINIf you reload your own shells, a load of high velocity lead "T" shot in a properly choked gun will make for a 100 yard gun.

Bwaahaaahaahaahahaha, Bwaaahhhaaahaahahah, oh god, let me catch my breath, no, I can't, bwahhahahahahahahaha!

That's some funny crap, right there!

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: 1ASSASSINIf you reload your own shells, a load of high velocity lead "T" shot in a properly choked gun will make for a 100 yard gun.

Bwaahaaahaahaahahaha, Bwaaahhhaaahaahahah, oh god, let me catch my breath, no, I can't, bwahhahahahahahahaha!

That's some funny crap, right there!

- DAA
wait. the comedy routine gets better.
Quote:I have on several occasions put 15 or more pellets in a coyote at 100 yds., so it can be done.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Back