The cause of bullet (SPLASH) as many call it?

Unless its just not posted in Cabelas catalog the Noslers im talking about are the Nosler (hunting) ballistic tip. From what I see the 6mm .243 is the smallest caliber in the (HUNTING) bullets. I currently shoot the Varmit BT's with good results. Only one splash but dog was DRT.

I should also say that I could careless about saving hides as I am not gonna drive 2+hrs to get $10-$15 per dog.

I'm fairly certain there is an "N" in the word "Varmint". Kinda like when people get perturbed when they hear people say "ax" instead of saying "ask" or refer to a napkin as "nakkin".

Ah, the queen would be proud!

Chupa

Originally Posted By: Chupathingy I'm fairly certain there is an "N" in the word "Varmint". Kinda like when people get perturbed when they hear people say "ax" instead of saying "ask" or refer to a napkin as "nakkin".

Ah, the queen would be proud!

Chupa

Uh-Oh

Grammar-Police.png

Is that kinda like sammich, or splainin?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Mxracer532OMG, I should be banned! Who gives a crap, lets not post just to post.

By the way congrats on being the spelling bee champ!
wink.gif

It's ball busting dude.....Guy talk. I expect it in return as I already posted.

Chupa

I had a .17 Remington that I loaded several 5 shot load groups for to find the perfect powder/charge. It was a good central Texas summer day, and I would shoot 5rds, clean, shoot a fouling shot, and shoot 5 more rounds, I got to my last (hottest) ( both temperature and powder charge) 5 round bunch and fired the first shot.... Nothing on the paper.... Checked bore (clear).... Took my time and fired #2.... again nothing on paper... Checked bore.... (clear) got a factory Rem round that I'd been using as fouling rounds and fired it. Dead on target. Hmmmmm....

Then I moved the target to 50yds and found out that the little 25gr pills were turning to srapnel that wouldn't kill a rat at 50yds. Yes it can happen.

That .17 developed a problem with "keyholing" rounds. And with no rhyme or reason, didn't matter what load, it would just do it occasionally. You can't believe what a 25gr HP will do to a fox at 35yds when it hits him tumbling sideways at 4100fps.

That sounds just really crazy sneeky sniper!!! I bet that fox looked a little funny. Could the keyholing be cause by the twist not being imparted to the barrel because the bullet is moving so fast? Did you have a lot of copper in the barrel the next time you cleaned it out good.

The keyholing starting after a long while of that load shooting fine was no doubt caused by the throat being burned out. It's a pretty common 1st symptom of a wasted barrel.

Jeepdude- I think that barrel was "shot out" it was an early Rem 700 BDL (I later found out remmy had issues and had changed something with the barrels after the first year or two of production)

I don't have a bore scope, but if you looked down the bore, the rifling wasn't really sharp and clear. It didn't really look like it had much near the end of the barrel. I cleaned it really good, but it still shot poor groups with an occaisional keyhole on paper. Foxy lost half of his head. It was not "fur friendly"

I want to find a good custom .17 Remington someday.

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: Mxracer532OMG, I should be banned! Who gives a crap, lets not post just to post.

By the way congrats on being the spelling bee champ!
wink.gif

It's ball busting dude.....Guy talk. I expect it in return as I already posted.

Chupa

That's 20 lashings for not picking on people your own size Chupa.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: sneeky_sniperI had a .17 Remington that I loaded several 5 shot load groups for to find the perfect powder/charge. It was a good central Texas summer day, and I would shoot 5rds, clean, shoot a fouling shot, and shoot 5 more rounds, I got to my last (hottest) ( both temperature and powder charge) 5 round bunch and fired the first shot.... Nothing on the paper.... Checked bore (clear).... Took my time and fired #2.... again nothing on paper... Checked bore.... (clear) got a factory Rem round that I'd been using as fouling rounds and fired it. Dead on target. Hmmmmm....

Then I moved the target to 50yds and found out that the little 25gr pills were turning to srapnel that wouldn't kill a rat at 50yds. Yes it can happen.

That .17 developed a problem with "keyholing" rounds. And with no rhyme or reason, didn't matter what load, it would just do it occasionally. You can't believe what a 25gr HP will do to a fox at 35yds when it hits him tumbling sideways at 4100fps.

Key holing does not come from incorrect charge, high or low, its the bullet itself that is wrong the weight for your twist barrel. I have a barrel that has over 10,000 rounds throught it shoots fine, but the groups have opened maybe .005 thousands.

If you post over on Benchrest Central they will tell you the same thing, but be my guest and ask them yourself.

If you find the correct weight bullet for your twist you can just seat the bullet a little deeper into the lands and it will be fine. This is exactly what I did with my 6PPC barrel and proved my belief correct.

Not exactly Half Cripple.

"Keyholing" is a description of a bullet hitting a target while it has excessive yaw (or is actually tumbling). With modern bullets that means a lack of stabilization.

A bullet is stabilized by rotating it about it's center of gravity. A longer bullet (not heavier though there is often a correlation) require greater stabilization than a shorter bullet since a greater percentage of it's weight is towards the back of the bullet, and the longer bullet length provides a greater "lever" for aerodynamic forces to act on.

Greater stabilization is achieved with higher RPM. RPM is a function of twist AND velocity. Since charge weight usually has an effect on velocity, it will affect the stability calculation.

If the throat/rifling in a barrel becomes worn, a bullet can "slip" and not be stabilized to the same degree as it was before. If it was "near the ragged edge" of stability when the barrel was new, the lessening of stabilizing forces can allow it to "keyhole" where up to that point it had always been stabilized.

Thanks for the info guys. I am about 99.8% that the barrel/throat of that rifle was shot out. I tried different seating depths, velocities, and 2 different bullets (not too many options for a .17) to no avail.

Sneeky,
Had the same thing happen with early model 700 in .17. Ordered the gun when I first heard that remington was going to offer the .17, early 70's. I had to wait for what seemed like a year and I got the first one that came in( I worked in the largest gun shop in the city).
Well a lot of things went bad in a hurry. No one had a cleaning rod for .17,
reloading dies had to be special ordered, limited projectiles, limited reloading data. Then with the need for speed maxed out and the barrel was gone in no time. I never did find a good recipe that shot well.
The .17 Remington was ahead of its time, it was put on the market before good projectiles, powder,etc. to maximize the little round.

Back