The no B.S. how accurate is you AR 15 thread.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZI got a stripped lower, and used a standard mil. parts kit with a RRA match 2 stage trigger, a bigger grip, and adjustable stock.

I got the upper complete from MidWay. it was in the $300 range with 1:9 twist and after break-in.

I was using the 53gr vmax factory Hornady ammo. the scope is Nikon buckmaster,BDC, 4x12 almost sitting on the hand guard.

here is the pic of the results. I haven't bothered to start hand loading yet. I don't have enough time to get to all the things i would like to and with these results, why bother?

I think i just got lucky. (and shooting this group using a lead sled)

The Speedometer of Death doesn't show us much. Looks like new photo host is in your future.

It took me about two days to migrate mine to IMGUR.

Greg

darn it. .
lol

its the 5 shot group I have from the rifle, of a outside measure group of .4002 then subtract .224 and ended up with .1762 for group size off the Ben Avery shooting benches in PHX @100.

Here are a few targets from my 20 Practical shot four days apart. Notice that #2 and #3 are the identical in charge weight but the difference was a three vs. a five shot group and #3 was shot four days earlier. #2 was for verification of my PD load and three rounds were sufficient. I shot that on the next trip. On that day #1 was a load that shot well in my 20 TACTICAL and was shot on a whim. Thanks to my whimsical moment it is now my standard PD load with the X-Term as a back up.

This rifle is a consistent performer and is by far one of my favorites out of the three dozen or so I shoot. I have found, anecdotally, that it loves the same loads as my 20 TACTICAL. I don't worry about top end pressures as the TAC being smaller than the PRAC gives me a built in cushion.

8VZDcwm.jpg

zp3BpNS.jpg

yQ5oITI.jpg

1y9Gz7P.jpg

It is a 24" Black Hole barrel that was built by Ritch for me. No special prep on the brass as it was just old once fired Winchester pulled out of my bucket of range stuff. I do like those Bergers on paper and on the little dogs.

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZdarn it. .
lol

its the 5 shot group I have from the rifle, of a outside measure group of .4002 then subtract .224 and ended up with .1762 for group size off the Ben Avery shooting benches in PHX @100.

Oh yeah!! Now that is STOUT shooting!! I love those you can put in your bill fold but this digital stuff is great for sharing.

My shooting is done out in the desert on a fold up bench or top on a B&D WorkMate. No shade and conditions au'natural so I know of what you speak.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: Texas SwiftyGL SHOOTER,

I'd like to ask you a question. You stated & many others have also, that you rarely shoot a 3 shot group. I've been shooting and reloading the best part of 50 years. When I'm searching & loading to find a correct combination, I never shoot anything but 3 shot groups. I just can't see the point in shooting 5 round groups wasting time and money until you find one that will group 3 shots. I maybe doing wrong but I keep shooting 3 rounds until I get a 1 hole group then and only then will I start with 5 round groups. If you'll explain, I'm not too old yet to learn.
....................................................................................................

Varminter .223,

I don't know if it's the caliber or the gun that you might be have problems with. I've got 6 AR's in 204 & 223 and 2 of them and 2 of them only, 1-223 & 1-204 both with WOA barrels will shoot .5 5 shot groups @ 100 consistently unless I pull one myself or the wind is a factor. That being said, as msinc mentioned, I only shoot Berger's and I do believe they will truly show what your gun is capable of.

My 2$ worth,

Jim D

Statistical number enter into the equation. Three shots will often look super but then when you put those extra two in there the variables start to appear and make that slight difference.

Ideally to get it right I believe the calculated number was thirteen shots according to the statisticians. I have a short ton of targets with great three shot groups until you add in the extra two and find that 0.188 is now a 0.222 or that 0.375 is now a 0.479. Thirteen is way past reasonable for cost and time so five it is.

BTW I usually will shoot two five shot groups at each charge weight so I can instant verification of the load viability. Shooting time is very truncated here when it's 100+ and I'm getting old.

Additionally most of the shooting I've done centers around multiples of five. I am looking at laying on my belly and shooting 20 shots in a string at extended distances and if the load won't hold up to five it probably won't hold up to twenty.

I will shoot threes under two circumstances. The first being in cartridge gotta have some pressure indicators some accuracy data. When I helped developed the American 30 three of us were shooting independently and we needed the numbers in a hurry. I probably shot over 300 loads on my end doing my own and verifying Ritch's data. I compiled hundreds of groups and chronograph speeds on that and we walked away with a winner.

The second reason is if I have a real barrel burner on my hands like a 20-250 or a 22-243. Barrel life on a $400.00 tube of less than 1,000 rounds is not one that I want to just throw away with five per group. My load development is down and dirty with those. I'll start right up near the top as I have determined from all the input I can get or the research I can do. My goal is 50 rounds MAX down the tube band at that point I hope to have a good load.

I spent years teaching how to put a bullet on target the first time every time all day long , I had to say that to keep up with the keyboard cowboys, with classes as long as three weeks. I made sure my students, and myself, did their part every time. Our task was not sport but the deadly serious part on the other end of the scale. More than a few went to the mountains and sandbox during that time. We shot groups under pressure to get the guys use to the need for speed in every aspect. The guns and ammunition had to hold up under those five and and ten shot strings.

There is a theory/saying that three shots prove the gun and five shots prove the shooter. All I know for sure is one shot under pressure proves the total package. Sometimes that comes on a PD and others times it comes on a huge 0.5 MOA X-ring out there at 500+. I want to know that shot #1,shot #5 or shot #20 are going to be right there.

So my theories and at the end of the day we all have our standards. It can vary from rifle to rifle and cartridge to cartridge. As long as we all end up where we want even the one shot group shooter can be a champion.

Greg

Well stated Greg. The rifle and shooter are a team as important as the ammunition and the rifle. I often find that the students that I am training have a bit of a loss of attention on round #2 or #3. They often rush it, getting out of their rhythm, the result being a flier. Temp of the gun is important as well. Most of us don't have to shoot the rifles until they are blazing hot but as the rifle heats up it is going to change it's POI a little bit. Cold bore is often the best indicator.

when doing initial load dev I shoot 3 round groups. If a group is too big with 3 rounds, more aren't going to make it any smaller, so I see it as a waste of resources.

I shoot 3 round groups across a range of powder weights, then I go back to the best of those -assuming any are small enough to keep that combination of bullet/powder/primer of interest- and shoot some more to see if it was a fluke or consistent.

More rounds in a group makes sense to me after I've narrowed it down this way first. YMMV

.223 Anderson lower, M-4 barrel marked "R 5.56 NATO 1/9"
ALG/ ACT trigger with a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x40

Powders tried: H-335, Varget, Win 748, Benchmark
Primers: CCI 400, CCI 450
Handloads with:
Win. 55 spt
52 Speer
52 HPBTM
55 FMJ
55 "1390"
55 "1360"
60 Vmax
69 HPBTM "1380"

Factory: 45 HP white box Winchester

I have shot this rifle quite a bit and the best it has done is around .880 with most 5 shot groups going an inch or inch and a half. 100 yards sand bags on the front and a squeeze sock on the rear.

Last edited:
First I'll say the level of accuracy we achieve with these AR's is nothing short of astounding. Even sniffing at 1/2" groups of 3 or 5 shots is something few would have probably imagined just a generation or so ago.

I had a 204 with a 26" truck axle Shilen barrel that might be the most accurate rifle I've ever had. It would drill 5 into the .4's with boring regularity. It's shot out now.

I've got accurate ar's still, but more like what the op has. Great groups mostly but they won't make internet groups all day long. I also haven't spent that much on a barrel and most of mine are of the standard contour variety now. I just don't shoot pdogs like I used to so went lighter and I've always had better luck getting bulls to shoot better than light weights.

Originally Posted By: dan158

Also some calibers just shoots better than others... The 17s ,20s, 6.5 just seem to shoot great groups..

I've found 17's to be tough. 6 MM the easiest. Nonr are all that consistent unless you have a good barrel and know how to feed it.

Greg

Originally Posted By: rustybucketWhats the saying? It's all about the 3 B's. Barrels, bullets and brass....

You forgot the Booger hook.

Greg

My RRA ATH is a true sub moa gun. I've shoved everything from 45 grain to 62 grainers thru it and it seems to like them all.. velocity ranges verified via chronograph from 2650 to 3200.. I love this gun.. and the great thing about it is poi is for all is nearly the same at 100.. My superformance load does of course impact slightly higher but as expected..

Only exception is cheap fmj.. doesn't like those at all... But I don't need it to.. I'll try to post some pics later after work.. But it does what I need to do..

Working on a load for my build. Right now it's at .5, maybe a little less with 69, 77, and 80gr SMKs. That'll be nice when one of those are out of stock at my LGS. Just load another weight, a slight adjustment in the POI and good to go and keep the .5 moa. Couldn't be happier.

Originally Posted By: BoomstickWorking on a load for my build. Right now it's at .5, maybe a little less with 69, 77, and 80gr SMKs. That'll be nice when one of those are out of stock at my LGS. Just load another weight, a slight adjustment in the POI and good to go and keep the .5 moa. Couldn't be happier.

That's a good idea. Ask the guys that shot Hornaday match bullets exclusively. They got caught with their pants down when their special bullet was put on hold during the panic.

Greg

I was very surprised at how accurate my RRA is.That is with three of my loads. And i do shoot three shot groups. The ars i shot years ago were no where near this accurate.

My 22 nosler bushing dies and new seater will be here Friday. I am hoping eliminating some excessive neck tension and bullet runnout will clear up my flyers.

Back