The no B.S. how accurate is you AR 15 thread.

This is how I explain it to folks.
My "guns" will shoot sub moa, but "me" however will not!!
I sight in all my guns using a lead sled and in good weather conditions. I try to take as much "human factor" out as possible.
That way I know what the guns potential is. Now when I go hunting or shooting from a tripod,bag,bench,knee or tree, and miss a shot. I can only blame myself.
And if by chance I do get a sub moa group....my next stop is to buy lotto tickets!!

My idea of accuracy is if you can shoot 5 or 6 groups of 5 shots on one card. That is a fair representation of your and your gun's ability. Personally, my goal is 1/2". I built an AR15 with a WOA barrel that I have shooting a 77gr smk at a shade over 0.5 in at 100 in such a fashion on a 6x5 and in the mid 0.4s with a 5x5. If it wasn't such a pain I would post pics. Neat up is my Savage 12 lrp and JP 6.5c build.

I have two uppers for my AR, a standard RRA 24" Varmint A4 and an 18" ODIN Works. The RRA is my second most accurate rifle behind my custom 300 Win Mag, it will regularly put my handloads into the 0.2's and 0.3's MOA and I've been able pop soda cans at just shy of 600 yards.

The ODIN Works on the other hand I am still working on, I got it last week and haven't done much development but I'm not overly impresssed with what I've seen so far. Don't get me wrong I love the Upper itself and think it will be perfect for coyote hunting but the accuracy hasn't been great. It has this weird habit of putting 3 out 5 into a good group but then throwing random flyers that open the group up to around 1 MOA with 68gr Black Hills ammo. Federal 55gr FMJ goes into 2 to 3 inch groups.

Hopefully with some load development I can get it shooting good but I was spoiled with the RRA, I loaded up 6 test loads and one shot great so I ran with it.

Accuracy in a firearm is defined as being able to hit what you are aiming at. Most rifles will do that. Precision is defined as being able to hit the same spot REPEATEDLY. That's where I think the breakdown comes. I have shot plenty of rifles that I would have taken out hunting, but would not have even begun to consider taking them out to a precision rifle match. They just did not have the repeat-ability that a precision rifle needs.

Sometimes people can't see the forest through the trees. I have seen plenty of "precision" shooters that are so hung up on splitting hairs that they miss the coyote that the hairs are growing from. Used to be one of the more enjoyable hunts I would go out on. We would take out groups of competitive precision shooters and then we would get to see who could make the shot...when it counted. It always created a lot controversy with those guys, especially when they missed.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoAccuracy in a firearm is defined as being able to hit what you are aiming at. Most rifles will do that. Precision is defined as being able to hit the same spot REPEATEDLY. That's where I think the breakdown comes. I have shot plenty of rifles that I would have taken out hunting, but would not have even begun to consider taking them out to a precision rifle match. They just did not have the repeat-ability that a precision rifle needs.

Sometimes people can't see the forest through the trees. I have seen plenty of "precision" shooters that are so hung up on splitting hairs that they miss the coyote that the hairs are growing from. Used to be one of the more enjoyable hunts I would go out on. We would take out groups of competitive precision shooters and then we would get to see who could make the shot...when it counted. It always created a lot controversy with those guys, especially when they missed.

I hunted in a contest with a precision guy, his first coyote hunt. He would brag and brag about how good of a match shooter he was. Well I called in a coyote 150 yards, facing us. He shot, missed. Coyote just stood there. Shot again, missed and the coyote was running off then. I made the running shot at about 250, took another two shots to finish him but still.

I asked what happened, he said he was holding 1.2 mils off to the left due to the wind.... YGTBFKM. Dude, just put it on the dog and pull the trigger! He was shooting a .204 and the wind was in our face, there was no holding off needed. Even I knew that.

Called in another to about 50 yards and I decided he was taking too long so I popped that one too. I wanted to give him a chance but he just wasn't a natural yet, in the sense of shooting coyotes quickly. He's learning though.

Accuracy is different for everyone. My accuracy goal is 0.5" over a 5x5 or a 5x6. I put alot of time into my hbar build. It is a Colt 20"hbar OEM with a replacement WOA SDM barrel and national match Geissle trigger. Shooting a 77 TMK with Varget. Shoots a shade over 0.5 on 5x6 and just under 0.5 on a 5x5. I have a target to prove but it has met my goal.

I have several AR15 uppers in several different calibers. All are primarily used for hunting. I reload for all of them and shoot quite often. My accuracy goal has pretty much always been consistent MOA or less. Most all of my uppers can do this pretty easily. Two of them seem to do no better than 1.5 MOA. I know this is adequate accuracy for most hunting situations at reasonable distances for ground hog sized and larger targets but anything over MOA really bugs me.

Originally Posted By: 10ring1Accuracy is different for everyone. My accuracy goal is 0.5" over a 5x5 or a 5x6. I put alot of time into my hbar build. It is a Colt 20"hbar OEM with a replacement WOA SDM barrel and national match Geissle trigger. Shooting a 77 TMK with Varget. Shoots a shade over 0.5 on 5x6 and just under 0.5 on a 5x5. I have a target to prove but it has met my goal.
What is a 5x5 and a 5x6? Is that 5 groups of 5 or 6?

I don't shoot benchrest, and I don't use a concrete bench, mechanical front rest, or bunny ear rear bag while hunting or in the field. For me, that stuff is just for load development and testing the capability of the rifle.

So I'm pleased if I can lean over the hood of my car and shoot like this while checking my zero. Or shoot similarly from field positions.

37783619446_9a7e820292_c.jpg

I don't suppose a MORE accurate rifle would have any effect at all on my effectiveness in the field.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: 10ring1Accuracy is different for everyone. My accuracy goal is 0.5" over a 5x5 or a 5x6. I put alot of time into my hbar build. It is a Colt 20"hbar OEM with a replacement WOA SDM barrel and national match Geissle trigger. Shooting a 77 TMK with Varget. Shoots a shade over 0.5 on 5x6 and just under 0.5 on a 5x5. I have a target to prove but it has met my goal.
What is a 5x5 and a 5x6? Is that 5 groups of 5 or 6?

Yes 5 shot groups all on one target either 5 or 6 groups.
6x5

Back