Too many 6mm's!!!

Just out of curiosity is there a 6mm Remington Improved that moves the shoulders forward like on the Gibbs lineup? I think it would be feasible because the 6mm Rem. has plenty of neck to spare.

Ack,
I'm all about shooting a laser on stand for yotes. It really decreases the ballstic 'margin of error' for a miss from that critical 250-400 yd area where yotes sometimes choose to hang up. Yes, I do like to call them in closer, but I also like to kill as many as possible. And a laser flat shootin' rifle will get you more dead critters if you can drive it straight...

Kerry's 17WCH is such a laser and it really takes the 'guesswork' out of ranging a hung up yote. You can pretty much hold on fur and squeeze to almost 400yds! A 55gr .243 @ 4K would be almost as flat, yet have the added smack afforded by bore dia...

Barrel life aside, the vanilla flavored .243 can just about do it all, given the proper twisted tube. 3100from a 115gr, or 4K from a 55gr., but ya gotta have them spun right...

my old 243 win has been all the rifle i've needed for coyotes.i haven't tried all the new fangled bullits but just the old 80 spire points have killed a boxcar full of coyotes threw her.

In my 6mm AI, 26" tube with minimum spec match reamer with zero freebore, I shot a fire forming load in Win Brass of 50.5g of Win 760 with a 70g Nosler Ballistic tip with Federal 210's at 4050 fps, The Formed load was 51.5g at 4150. I neck sized the cases with no evidence of pressure, primer pockets still very tight.

Groups were in the low 3's with the fire forming loads and in the high 2's with the formed loads...three shot groups.

The Sierra 80's with a hot load of R#19 were in the 3850 Range.

If using the 6mm AI as a repeater, then it is better on a long action.

My long barrel 243AI's are firefoming with 47.0-47.5g of Win 760, Rem 7/08 brass, CCI-250 primers, 12 twist, at 3750 fps-3800 with the (70g Nosler, TNT, or 69g Bergers) depending on the barrel. Formed loads are 48.5g of Win 760
at 3850-CCI 250, bump to 50.5g and Win mag primer for 4030 fps, tiny, tiny groups. Install a Hart 1-12 twist, 28-29" long and duplicate these stats every time.

I pushed the 55's in the 243AI at 4400 fps, really made the jacks go SPLAT!

Personally I am a 6mm Rem fan. The plain old, non fiddled with 6mm Rem. With an 85 grain Sierra HPBT Gameking, it will reach out and touch them at any reasonable range.

To each their own of course and fiddling with stuff is just as fun as shooting for some, so that is cool.

The .260 is really another sleeper round for dogs too.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunMy 6-06 runs 87gr v-maxes @ 3500fps+. I've never owned any of the other 3, but a lot of guys @my range shoot 6mmAI's. That would be my first choice of the 3 you mentioned.

FWIW, I have actually run 87gr v-maxes so fast that the cores/jackets separated in flight. Unfortunately, the battery died on my chrony. A month ago, a member was shooting 115gr DTACs via 6mmAI and they were going "poof' after about 30yds.......

Where did you get your load info in regards to 6-06. I am thinking about rebarreling a 30-06 to a 6-06. I cannot find any load info. Will you please help?

Give me a minute, and I'll see what links I can dig up from my notes.

Also, you can use 240Wby starting loads and work your way up. Also, I have info copied from Cartridges of the World, but I don't believe there is a link to them.

In addition, members 6mm-06 and Dan Newberry should also be able to help you, as I have a couple of loads recorded I got off them.

Give me a minute...........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunFirst off, I don't know where you get 54 or 63.5 from.

I guess Precision Shooting is wrong, as they list it as an 8.5% increase:

Man, i remember those articles on the big 6's by Bob Jordan. I was right in the middle of a 6-284 build when i read about the 6AI, and changed over at the last minute. Probably wished i didn't out of the Rem short action for obvious reasons, but it's still one of my favorite rigs--been going strong ever since it was built up for LR coyotes back then. Ran several bullets, but when i tried the 87 V-Max it wouldn't shoot it. That was a big let-down i tell ya', but used the 87 Horn. BTHP out of it at 3600 (26" Shilen). Had a Bell & Carlson stock on it adjusted for length of pull and it's still sweet. Got a 4-12x Burris Mini on top with Bal. Plex/elevation turret and it's my favorite long-range walking coyote rig (still

Was reading some of Bob's stuff the other day.

The 117/243 combo is a good one. Lots of guys are figuring that out lately. I may play with it a bit before I rebarrel to 6.5x47 Lapua.........

Hay 2 MG, my buddy's shooting an XP-100 with a Scott MCree interchangeable stock system in 6x47 Lapua. He's got an 18" barrel on it--some make i can't remember now. We were tetsing it at 550/750 and 800 awhile back on steel. The 105 A-Max's are trumping the 105 Berger's big time. What a wierd rig--cool though.

Originally Posted By: Timberbeast7sscoyote,

what made you switch from the 6-284 to the 6mmAI?

I'll let u know in a couple minutes, after i find Jordan's articles again, cause i can't remember.

Oh yeah, now i remmeber he said he thought it was right at the upper end of "efficiency" for the 6mm bore...of course that was just before the VLD's came out i think, longer neck too for maybe a bit more seating flexibility.

Had a nice rewarding 400-some yd. shot a couple years ago in some cold conditions using the BP reticle and a laser. I was all happy about that 1, i rememeber.

I've always been a BIG A-max fan. Very streamlined bullets, more so than SMK's. They also kill stuff deer sized and smaller really well..........

Back