Vicious Neighbor Dogs & Coyote Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure about wherever you are but here it is NOT illegal to shoot an animal harassing wildlife or making you feel threatened on your own property no matter what it is

BTW I have no issues with any breeds. I have only dispatched two nusance dogs that had been causing some real problems not just trespassing. But I did call my nrp office and got some clarification before I did the deed

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksNo slick, I have 32 acres all well fenced. Dogs on the outside are good 2 go. Dogs that try to dig in dont make it. I am not breed prejudiced, I will keep my lab on my side and neighbors keep theirs on the outside. If mine gets out and catches the neighbors chickens I expect them to shoot them. If yours gets on my side you probably wont get him back after the first time. I usually give 1 free pass.

all fine and dandy sandy. i really dont have any problem with that scenario.

but the op does not say the neighbors dogs are trespassing in his yard. according to the way his post reads the dogs really have not caused any problems at all and stay put in their own yards. that led me to think maybe you were suggesting he spike some burger and toss it over the fence.

Dogs in their fenced backyard in my neighborhood serve as an early warning of coyotes being nearby when they bark for no apparant reason. And it's not the usual bark but one that that's energetic and seems to say "DANGER ! INTRUDER !"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sharpshooter4912First off, killing dogs is illegal!! Second, it's not the breed of the dog that makes them mean, it is how they are raised and handled.

I am afraid you have no idea what you are talking about and that is obvious judging by the above regurgitated statement that I have heard literally hundreds of times. Most breeds that are "pure" breeds are just that.....they were "designed" for special purposes through breeding. Some of these purposes were for aggression.....it's as simple as that. Their ancestor breeds were selected and combined because they possessed certain desired traits that helped achieve the desired end result.
I've seen this discussion more times than I care to remember and sometimes they get pretty heated. Some people just love certain breeds and will defend them with all kinds of generic half truths. Pitbull lover....."more people are bitten by Labrador retrievers every year than pitbulls" Correct!....and very misleading! It is the law of numbers and statistics. There are simply waaaaaay more labs in the world than there are pitbulls so it only stands to reason that they would be responsible for more of the dog bites. What they won't mention is that lab bites rarely result in serious maulings or deaths like many pitbull attacks do.
Don't get me wrong....I love dogs. I even rescued a pitbull once and he was raised and handled with love and kindness. Did not change the fact that there were very few other dogs he would tolerate. He also could peel open a chain link kennel like a can opener (never seen a lab do that). He still ended up attacking my son's biological father. He was familiar with the dog and had always been kind to him. The attack was not severe but nothing says it couldn't have been. My son has moved out on his own and has the dog with him. After that he spent alot of time and money with obedience school which seems to have helped a little. They can be very loving dogs and in my opinion. ...still can't be trusted.
To the OP.....wouldn't suprise me if the smell of coyote on you bothers the neighboring dogs. I would certainly take whatever legal steps necessary to protect yourself should one of these dogs get loose or end up in close proximity to you.

Last edited:
Many years ago, early teen years, I lived with my grandparents on their ranch a few miles outside small town America. At the age of 13 grandpa would send me to town to the feed store etc. I had learned to drive his old 47 pickup and in those days no one thought anything about it, being that it was all dirt roads. I always jumped at the chance to go, particularly since grandpa had taught me a fun activity to do on the way to town. Seems most country dogs love to chase passing vehicles for some reason. The truck rims had slots around the edge. We would take an old deflated inner tube and tie it in one of the slots. As you drove it would go flop, flop, flop. Those dogs simply could not resist. As you approach you slow way down and they would race each other to get to it first. Funny thing is, most times when they grab it it wraps them up and literally beats them silly on the ground. After 15 to 20 thumps you stop and let them untangle. Sure does break them old potlickers from chasing vehicles.

Originally Posted By: BowhuntOriginally Posted By: sharpshooter4912First off, killing dogs is illegal!! Second, it's not the breed of the dog that makes them mean, it is how they are raised and handled.

I am afraid you have no idea what you are talking about and that is obvious judging by the above regurgitated statement that I have heard literally hundreds of times. Most breeds that are "pure" breeds are just that.....they were "designed" for special purposes through breeding. Some of these purposes were for aggression.....it's as simple as that. Their ancestor breeds were selected and combined because they possessed certain desired traits that helped achieve the desired end result.
I've seen this discussion more times than I care to remember and sometimes they get pretty heated. Some people just love certain breeds and will defend them with all kinds of generic half truths. Pitbull lover....."more people are bitten by Labrador retrievers every year than pitbulls" Correct!....and very misleading! It is the law of numbers and statistics. There are simply waaaaaay more labs in the world than there are pitbulls so it only stands to reason that they would be responsible for more of the dog bites. What they won't mention is that lab bites rarely result in serious maulings or deaths like many pitbull attacks do.
Don't get me wrong....I love dogs. I even rescued a pitbull once and he was raised and handled with love and kindness. Did not change the fact that there were very few other dogs he would tolerate. He also could peel open a chain link kennel like a can opener (never seen a lab do that). He still ended up attacking my son's biological father. He was familiar with the dog and had always been kind to him. The attack was not severe but nothing says it couldn't have been. My son has moved out on his own and has the dog with him. After that he spent alot of time and money with obedience school which seems to have helped a little. They can be very loving dogs and in my opinion. ...still can't be trusted.
To the OP.....wouldn't suprise me if the smell of coyote on you bothers the neighboring dogs. I would certainly take whatever legal steps necessary to protect yourself should one of these dogs get loose or end up in close proximity to you. Very well said! I have an 85 lb Weimaraner, he could be very aggressive towards adults, and on very few occasions, other dogs. But has never bit anyone in his four years. I also have a jack Russell that will attack any one and any dog, in fact, he kicks the crap out of my bigger dog and only weighs about 20 lbs.....when I get home from hunting, he goes absolutely nuts, while the Weimaraner does nothing. It's difinetly the breed of dog.

I have " no dog in this fight " but i will add that i had the pleasure of dispatching my sister in laws pet chocolate lab after he tore her lips almost off her face when she was 16. It took over 200 stiches and a GREAT surgeon to fix her.

I will also add my son had 1 pit in the past and has two pits presently. They have been good pets !

When i had my paper route as a boy, the smaller breeds scared the [beeep] out of me. They nip and bite !

That's not true in the least bit. I own a pitbull. Akc and Adba champion bloodlines. My homeowners insurance has copies of her papers, records etc. Heck my rate didn't even go up. Nothing at all "vicious" about a pitbull. Have owned 5 of them through my life. Best dogs ive ever owned.

Originally Posted By: ackleymancarry a 12 or better shot 49 or 45, load 150g(40 cal) and 185g Nosler HP(45 cal), fear no evil.

Those dogs are territorial.

By chance is it a rental house?

If they own their home, their homeowner's ins will be cancelled if they know that they have those dogs, so they probably are in violation of their homeowner's policy and it will probably NOT pay off in case of a dog attack.

Not all dogs are mean, but the pack instinct rules. If they get out, they may be on the hunt.

That's not true in the least bit. I own a pitbull. Akc and Adba champion bloodlines. My homeowners insurance has copies of her papers, records etc. Heck my rate didn't even go up. Nothing at all "vicious" about a pitbull. Have owned 5 of them through my life. Best dogs ive ever owned.

i've been around family house dog pitbulls for going on 15 years now. I've lived with a few of them myself (roommates dogs). at one point there were 4 in the extended family. my uncle has one - she's afraid of frogs for goodness sake. yes i typed that correctly - a big scary pitbull is deathly afraid of leopard frogs - she'll run for the house with her tail between her legs if she startles one in the grass when she's let out to go do her business. her yard isnt fenced. not even one of those invisible fence/collar type of jobs. she doesnt need a leash when shes outside. the only way you could get her to attack a person would be to put her in a protector situation where someone was trying to hurt one of the grandkids. and i even suspect that might not even trigger it in her.

my cousin used to own a rottweiler - big male, close to 120 lbs... we used to play fetch with him logs from the bonfire stack - sweetest dog you've ever met (unless you'd have tried to get between him and the kids anyway). when their oldest was first learning to stand up, she was near colt and used his junk as a handhold to stand up with. just latched right ahold of the poor dog and applied a gi-joe kung-[beeep] grip and pulled herself to her feet. dog turned his head to the side - away from her - and let out an unearthly howl but otherwise had no reaction. we were all like 'holy [beep] did we just see that!'

with any breed of dog - with a litter of puppies you're going to have dogs that exhibit a wide array of traits. you're going to have the timid little runt, you're going to have the dominant bully-ish leader of the group, and then you're going to have a group of animals in the middle that exhibit what are usually considered "typical" traits. however based on my experience - this usually only determines how hard the training process is for you.

as others have noted - dogs respond to pack type behavior. they instinctively understand that each pack has to have an Alpha. it makes no difference to them weather alpha has two legs or four. which is why they make great additions to the family so often. in any pack - alpha sets the acceptable behaviors and reinforces them. if in a mixed 2 and 4 leg pack, the alpha encourages - or by not discouraging it allows - poor behavior... a dog's more base instincts will often show themselves. if the dog is allowed to become the pack alpha through poor training/enforcement in a mixed 2&4 leg pack the same can happen. A good strong alpha figure can curb anti-social behavior in their house dog pretty easily for the most part and once that bond is established its usually set in stone.

what i'm getting at is - for the most part dogs who exhibit meanness only do so because of faulty human ownership. A poor alpha leading the pack. Yes there will be the occasional bad apple, but for the most part they can be the exception more than the rule. Otherwise every dog would be busy peeing on everything inside your house to mark its territory.

judging these breeds by the bad stuff you see in the media would be like judging an entire race of people based on the bad stuff you see in the media about them. Keep reminding yourself that when it comes to television 24 hour news cycle....."theres no news like bad news!"

my $0.02 usd

i can see how people like yourself are astonished at people like myself and our fears/concerns about dog breeds and safety. I worked with a guy that had 30 pits in his back yard and he said they were fine. I asked what he did with 30 pits? he said: You Know!
www.dogsbite.org
If this website don't bring you to tears, nothing will.
The older I get, the more fascinating I find human logic. I will use the analogy of religions and their followers. it's hard to criticize your own, so I will go out on a limb and determine that most of the posters here are not of the Muslim faith.
How many muzzys will consider their religion a religion that is not a religion of peace? Not many. Some are walking away from it, and we should support them. The others, over 850 million of them , want to live under sharia law. If you don't know what that is, it's religious slavery, pure ands simple. For believers as well as non-believers.
As an ex-catholic, not many will accept criticism of any kind about their religion. I have www.bishopaccountability.org as my screensaver. Every day, day after day, new charges are brought against the RCC for the rape, torture, and murder of innocent children. And day after day the RCC denies the charges, spends unlimited funds to protect their criminal employees, while giving no assistance to their victims, unless forced to do so by a secular court.
My family and friends are astonished that I not only walked away from the church, but I criticize it on a daily basis. I find the owners of vicious dogs the same way. No matter what logic, reason, or evidence is provided, they stand by their particular pet breed. I guess as a species, we never ask ourselves enough of 'Could I Be Wrong?'
I asked myself that after I went to see JP2 back in the day. I was in the middle of the pope's security team. It was quite impressive. I asked myself, 'Who wants to harms this old man that brings love and compassion to the world?' What do his critics say?
Wow! I listened to what they had to say and left the church as soon as I could. In writing. The followers of religion, no matter how much pain and suffering they bring to the innocents will ever change their mind. The same thing is seems, applies to owners of dogs that posses the ability to kill humans at will.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 243kimber i can see how people like yourself are astonished at people like myself and our fears/concerns about dog breeds and safety. I worked with a guy that had 30 pits in his back yard and he said they were fine. I asked what he did with 30 pits? he said: You Know!

so your experience with people [edit] or one person in this case[/edit] who INTENTIONALLY train their animals to be brutal outweigh's my experience with dogs who were trained to be family dogs how?

ANY dog breed can be trained to be mean/aggressive. yes some breeds have traits that make said training easier to bring out, but it still usually requires conditioning. i'm well aware that pitbulls can be adrenaline driven and are relatively easy to spool up during rough play (tug of war, etc). but its also just as easy to condition those traits out of acceptable behavior's as well.

yes there are exceptions to every rule - but people can be mean/aggressive/dangerous animals too.

You're applying the same logic being used to criticize legal safe gun owners based on the actions of a few crazy people with guns. Dont fall into the trap!

dont blame the animals for stupid human problems!

Last edited:
you, me, my wife, you wife, our kids are 10 times more likely to be hurt or killed by some dipstick texting while driving than they are by the neighbors dogs.

none of you text while you drive. right?

how about you go over and get to know the neighbors dogs. they may not be the least bit vicious. looks and breed names can be deceiving.

Originally Posted By: PredburnerHave we determined if the dogs are viscous yet....???

one is named killa and the other is named bubba. and they look viscous. must be man killers. right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back