Vicious Neighbor Dogs & Coyote Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BowhuntOriginally Posted By: sharpshooter4912First off, killing dogs is illegal!! Second, it's not the breed of the dog that makes them mean, it is how they are raised and handled.

I am afraid you have no idea what you are talking about and that is obvious judging by the above regurgitated statement that I have heard literally hundreds of times. Most breeds that are "pure" breeds are just that.....they were "designed" for special purposes through breeding. Some of these purposes were for aggression.....it's as simple as that. Their ancestor breeds were selected and combined because they possessed certain desired traits that helped achieve the desired end result.
I've seen this discussion more times than I care to remember and sometimes they get pretty heated. Some people just love certain breeds and will defend them with all kinds of generic half truths. Pitbull lover....."more people are bitten by Labrador retrievers every year than pitbulls" Correct!....and very misleading! It is the law of numbers and statistics. There are simply waaaaaay more labs in the world than there are pitbulls so it only stands to reason that they would be responsible for more of the dog bites. What they won't mention is that lab bites rarely result in serious maulings or deaths like many pitbull attacks do.
Don't get me wrong....I love dogs. I even rescued a pitbull once and he was raised and handled with love and kindness. Did not change the fact that there were very few other dogs he would tolerate. He also could peel open a chain link kennel like a can opener (never seen a lab do that). He still ended up attacking my son's biological father. He was familiar with the dog and had always been kind to him. The attack was not severe but nothing says it couldn't have been. My son has moved out on his own and has the dog with him. After that he spent alot of time and money with obedience school which seems to have helped a little. They can be very loving dogs and in my opinion. ...still can't be trusted.
To the OP.....wouldn't suprise me if the smell of coyote on you bothers the neighboring dogs. I would certainly take whatever legal steps necessary to protect yourself should one of these dogs get loose or end up in close proximity to you.

i have trained dogs for years. dont try and tell me about how dogs act. Pit Bulls are sissies compared to a cur or catahoula. and i bet you anything there are more bites from a cur or catahoula than anything. difference is that most of those bites are made to a good ol' country boy who isnt a city boy who cries when bit by a dog. i have been bitten more than i could ever count. heck, i got bit yesterday. i just make sure they know who the man is before i leave. and most of the time it doesnt happen again.

Last edited:
and lets just remember, this guy said these dogs were at their own house. no roaming around killing innocent old women!!! you pull up to my house and get out, you are liable to get bitten if i am not around. that doesnt mean my dogs will come to your house and bite you. goes back to training. my dogs know to protect my house. and they run loose but dont wonder to the neighbors. they hunt with people and other dogs around the nation and have never had an issue.

in my findings, pit bulls are way down on the list of "mean dogs". i have been put in my truck by hundreds of dogs in my life time in my line of work. german shepherds, aussies, labs. curs, catahoulas, boxers and a few others all rank above pit bulls in my book on aggression.

Originally Posted By: sharpshooter4912Originally Posted By: BowhuntOriginally Posted By: sharpshooter4912First off, killing dogs is illegal!! Second, it's not the breed of the dog that makes them mean, it is how they are raised and handled.

I am afraid you have no idea what you are talking about and that is obvious judging by the above regurgitated statement that I have heard literally hundreds of times. Most breeds that are "pure" breeds are just that.....they were "designed" for special purposes through breeding. Some of these purposes were for aggression.....it's as simple as that. Their ancestor breeds were selected and combined because they possessed certain desired traits that helped achieve the desired end result.
I've seen this discussion more times than I care to remember and sometimes they get pretty heated. Some people just love certain breeds and will defend them with all kinds of generic half truths. Pitbull lover....."more people are bitten by Labrador retrievers every year than pitbulls" Correct!....and very misleading! It is the law of numbers and statistics. There are simply waaaaaay more labs in the world than there are pitbulls so it only stands to reason that they would be responsible for more of the dog bites. What they won't mention is that lab bites rarely result in serious maulings or deaths like many pitbull attacks do.
Don't get me wrong....I love dogs. I even rescued a pitbull once and he was raised and handled with love and kindness. Did not change the fact that there were very few other dogs he would tolerate. He also could peel open a chain link kennel like a can opener (never seen a lab do that). He still ended up attacking my son's biological father. He was familiar with the dog and had always been kind to him. The attack was not severe but nothing says it couldn't have been. My son has moved out on his own and has the dog with him. After that he spent alot of time and money with obedience school which seems to have helped a little. They can be very loving dogs and in my opinion. ...still can't be trusted.
To the OP.....wouldn't suprise me if the smell of coyote on you bothers the neighboring dogs. I would certainly take whatever legal steps necessary to protect yourself should one of these dogs get loose or end up in close proximity to you.

i have trained dogs for years. dont try and tell me about how dogs act. Pit Bulls and sissies compared to a cur or catahoula. and i bet you anything there are more bites from a cur or catahoula than anything. difference is that most of those bites are made to a good ol' country boy who isnt a city boy who cries when bit by a dog.

More innaccurate wisdom.

Originally Posted By: jpx2rkNeighbor two doors down has a pit, not the least bit pleased about it, but they keep it in the garage, they say it's a big baby, but I've not heard any good stories about the breed. I keep my distance, and even my dog (boxer) is a bit nervous walking by their house/yard.

The breed isn't nearly as important as the individual dog, and your dog senses your nervousness. That would make a bad outcome if the two dogs get together.

I don't care for the breed because of the inherent traits, but I've seen a lot of them that are as friendly and trustworthy as most labs or golden retrievers. That said we had a tenant that had a big chocolate lab he had used for predator hunting, it was a nice dog, but couldn't be trusted with UPS and Fedex drivers, or kids. I will not have a big dog that can't be unconditionally trusted around kids.

Originally Posted By: sharpshooter4912well then spread your wisdom. how many dogs have you trained???

Is that your measure of qualification for posting in this thread? A self proclaimed dog trainer.
If your statements in this thread reflect your qualifications as a dog trainer, I would look for another.
Your statements may hold water at your house but not against the rest of the country or it's statistics.

Originally Posted By: tripod3 More innaccurate wisdom.

Originally Posted By: sharpshooter4912well then spread your wisdom. how many dogs have you trained???

or more importantly how many pit bulls have you known personally and/or actually lived around - maybe one owned by a friend who kept one as a pet - a-holes who fight their dogs dont count. thats training bad behavior into a dog specifically !

the breed has a bad name becuase of what PEOPLE do to it, not because of what its capable of doing to people.

its like blaming forks for making rosie o'donnell fat.

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickI have " no dog in this fight " but i will add that i had the pleasure of dispatching my sister in laws pet chocolate lab after he tore her lips almost off her face when she was 16. It took over 200 stiches and a GREAT surgeon to fix her.

I will also add my son had 1 pit in the past and has two pits presently. They have been good pets !

When i had my paper route as a boy, the smaller breeds scared the [beeep] out of me. They nip and bite !

I put a huge solid black pit down in my friend's neighborhood. It was his cousin's dog who was not there at the time. It ran across the road where a neighbor was walking a little Yorkie, the pit grabbed it, shook it to death, and started tearing the stomach open. My friend handed me his .40 Firestar and said you do it, I'd have to hurt Dwayne if I shoot it. My friend called the cops and I went over and put the dog down, he growled at me as I was taking aim at his head. Cops got there and told me I'd done the right thing, saved everyone a whole lot of trouble. I just stayed away from Dwayne for awhile, he actually understood that it had to be done though.

Originally Posted By: tripod3
Your statements may hold water at your house but not against the rest of the country or it's statistics.

please show me statistics for pit bulls kept as family pets (not fighting dogs) who were properly trained that attacked someone.

... statistics can be skewed in MANY MANY ways. Statistics show that guns are dangerous when used irresponsibly or by violent people - do you support banning them too?

my point is - you can find statistical numbers to back up any argument or viewpoint you want to - the anti gun crowd does this ALL the time. its common for people to ignore stastics that dont fit their adgenda. again see the anti-gunners as a perfect example. that doesnt mean those statistics are in any way grounded with the circumstances at hand.

all individual dogs are different - just like people. it comes down to personality and training. If not for society training people that hurting others is wrong - we wouldn't have the relative level of peace we experience as people in this society. If a person is taught (or NOT taught) that life is valuable and that violence is an acceptable answer - they will be a violent person. This same trait exists in dogs as well - regardless of the breed.

Like others have said, what is the history of the dog? I don't think you can get a dog of any kind and know several generations back what his ancestors trained in and how they were treated. Some genes get switched on and others are switched off. When my neighbor's mastiff/german shepherds get to be adults, it will be like having two mountain lions to contend with.
My only hope is to talk to the neighbors and let their dogs know Im one of the good guys. Besides, the female owner of the dogs is smoking hot!

please note - i'm not trying to argue that large breeds like pit bulls CANT be dangerous to people or other pets.

i'm just saying that kind of behavior USUALLY has to be reinforced in that animal - either by specific training, or a lack of proper training - for it to be a common trait in any specific animal of the breed.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: tripod3

please show me statistics for pit bulls kept as family pets (not fighting dogs) who were properly trained that attacked someone.

... statistics can be skewed in MANY MANY ways. Statistics show that guns are dangerous when used irresponsibly or by violent people - do you support banning them too?

my point is - you can find statistical numbers to back up any argument or viewpoint you want to - the anti gun crowd does this ALL the time. its common for people to ignore stastics that dont fit their adgenda. again see the anti-gunners as a perfect example. that doesnt mean those statistics are in any way grounded with the circumstances at hand.

all individual dogs are different - just like people. it comes down to personality and training. If not for society training people that hurting others is wrong - we wouldn't have the relative level of peace we experience as people in this society. If a person is taught (or NOT taught) that life is valuable and that violence is an acceptable answer - they will be a violent person. This same trait exists in dogs as well - regardless of the breed.

More convenient logic, If only it were a perfect world. Then our prisons would be empty and all these good citizens in fear of maiming or death wouldn't have passed all the breed specific legislation.
Places pit bulls may not be welcome in blue,
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/2918960/thumbs/o-BSL-CENSUS-900.jpg

sorry to apply some more convenient logic to your argument...

but...... politicians would never pass a law based on inaccurate information or biased statistics presented by a minority group with agenda driven "facts" to back up their arguments would they?

The only pit bull I was around on a somewhat continual basis (a college roommate's) was a wonderful, friendly dog; until one night she wasn't and attacked me in my own house without provocation. The dozens of Golden Retrievers I helped raise never did that. Sure, it's anecdotal, but it's enough information for me to decide what kind of dog I want around my kids.

I take issue with people who invite you over to their house and then have to say something like "oh, don't let your hands dangle cause he'll bite them". Put the dog away when you are expecting company or don't expect company.
I also take issue with folks taking unrestrained dogs of any size or breed out in public places without leashes. Same goes for fences and feces.

Originally Posted By: PredburnerHave we determined if the dogs are viscous yet....???

Nope! Just that generations of genetic engineering produces no results.

crazy.gif

Science Rules!

Originally Posted By: sharpshooter4912Originally Posted By: BowhuntOriginally Posted By: sharpshooter4912First off, killing dogs is illegal!! Second, it's not the breed of the dog that makes them mean, it is how they are raised and handled.

i have trained dogs for years. dont try and tell me about how dogs act. Pit Bulls are sissies compared to a cur or catahoula. and i bet you anything there are more bites from a cur or catahoula than anything. difference is that most of those bites are made to a good ol' country boy who isnt a city boy who cries when bit by a dog. i have been bitten more than i could ever count. heck, i got bit yesterday. i just make sure they know who the man is before i leave. and most of the time it doesnt happen again.

One thing before I go further. I love Pits I have one and am soon to get another I don't feel it is the breed. But I will say this, you are the best example of ignorance I have read throughout this thread and I read it all. For someone to say that a cur or Catahoula is more vicious that a pit is plum stupid. Cur dogs are normally half the [beeep] size of a full blood pit. Pits jaws are literally big enough to wrap around your skull and crush it without even realizing what they did. Your argument is retarded and you should probably just stop.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamThe only pit bull I was around on a somewhat continual basis (a college roommate's) was a wonderful, friendly dog; until one night she wasn't and attacked me in my own house without provocation. The dozens of Golden Retrievers I helped raise never did that. Sure, it's anecdotal, but it's enough information for me to decide what kind of dog I want around my kids.
Your experience is the beginning and the end of the argument. They are like having a Bengal Tiger running around with an anger management problem. Who needs that? I sure don't.

Originally Posted By: JJTAlwaysWishingOne thing before I go further. I love Pits I have one and am soon to get another I don't feel it is the breed. But I will say this, you are the best example of ignorance I have read throughout this thread and I read it all. For someone to say that a cur or Catahoula is more vicious that a pit is plum stupid. Cur dogs are normally half the [beeep] size of a full blood pit. Pits jaws are literally big enough to wrap around your skull and crush it without even realizing what they did. Your argument is retarded and you should probably just stop.

lol.gif
you have 1, soon to be 2. a real pit bull expert eh.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back