Handgun question: Would you rather have.....

I retired as a paramedic after 30+ years and I have seen people shot with most everything. Your smart and know the difference in what has the most and least knock down power. So let's look at it a little different, how many people have missed a deer? Or how many people miss that quail or pheasent. How about that "give me shot" clay bird at the range? Most miss because they rush their shots they don't get or keep their head on the stock. They get a little adrenalin rush and just get a little excited and miss!
Now imagine someone is shooting at you, it's maybe dark and their maybe more than one of them. Someone around you maybe already killed or they may have your loved one. You may have a bullet already in you. Do you immagin that again the heart maybe beating the adrenalin maybe pumping. Now do you think that you may just miss a few shots? An empty 7 round .45 is far worst than a gun in my hand with 8 more additional shots although they may not be the most powerful rounds available. I still can stop someone from walking over to me, holding an empty gun and shooting me. Carry the gun you will acually carry is the first big thing. Then you will just have to weigh out what your more comfortable with capacity, weight, or power. For me it's my glock 19 most the time.

It's all about where the first shot goes and what kind of drugs the dude is on. If your standing there for 15 shots,you should have been gone 30 minutes ago. Self defense,combat and police work are different animals. The S&W Shield carry's good,shoots good. I don't really like a 9,but I plan to have been gone 30 minutes ago anyway.Chances are if you need your handgun you won't know it till it's to late anyway,but the other guy might miss. In either case you will probably lose everything you got.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: kpkiefer
It's also my understanding the army is looking to replace the 9mm due to a lack of stopping power they've experienced in the middle east.

As stated earlier... That is with ball ammunition. The similar "ball" ammo that is also used for military rifles & why many think the 5.56x45/223 is under powered as well. How many times on this site have you heard people say not to use FMJ on coyote (read:smaller than a human) or you will loose said coyote. Wonder why that is? Bullet design changes the "leathality" of any weapon. If our military were carrying 60gr vmax & 147gr Gold Dots doubt you would hear many of those stories. (Hint: you are not limited to your ammo choice, choose wisely)

Very good point, thanks.

Originally Posted By: claimbusterFor an old guy with a bad back, how about a nice slim alloy frame 1911 with a 3.5" barrel that holds 9 Gold Dot HP 9mm's?

Sounds like a SA EMP would work.

Had we really never done this on PM before? I'm really surprised in 2014 that this one went 5 pages... I guess it was something different than 223rem vs. 22-250rem...

How about next week we do 44mag vs. 45colt? Or maybe .416remington vs. .458WM?

Back