How about a WW4? (in SW wyoming)

Quote:
I don't know if we're going to meet up in Evanston or Fort Bridger.

Tony, I'm going to try to make it, but it could be a last minute thing. Where will you be shooting in relation to Ft. Bridger? Is it a specific area or a general one? Will I be looking for a group of trucks/trailers, or will everyone be pretty much spread out?

Tom, most of the shooting occurs North of I-80 from the Ft.Bridger/Carter exit.

Just my 2 cents worth if anyone is looking to stay in campgrounds like a KOA, I would suggest staying in Ft. Bridger vs. Evanston only because of the drive from Evanston.

I realized a couple of days ago that I've got a conflict on the 21st, but it's not undoable for me. Even if it was I wouldn't expect the date to change for me, as it seems to work for the majority of folks. Anyway, my son reminded me that we have a church campout Friday night to Saturday. I'm going to try to combine this outting with the campout, even though it means I'll be getting to Ft. Bridger area from the Salt Lake City area by way of Logan, Utah. I'll have to catch up to you guys out on the praries it looks like.

Ditto on Randy's recommendation about Ft. Bridger versus Evanston. I think Mountain View might be a little closer as well, if there's not much available in Ft. Bridge.

Last edited:
Hope to see you there Tom. I've only been to the last one, but it seemed that the place we went was right in the middle between Evanston and Ft. Bridger. We all met at Ft. Bridger and drove to the general area of the hunt. One or two trucks broke off and went on their own and the rest of us stayed together the rest of the day. If anyone's going to be staying in a hotel and needing restaurants and such, then I would suggest Evanston.

Besides, if you just happen to lose your mind at some point during the weekend, they've got very nice people who will take good care of you until you regain your composure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

If hotels, motels, or mental hospitals /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif are what you're after, then Evanston is probably going to be your best bet. Not to mention things like restraunts, grocery stores, and the biggest wal-mart in all of Uinta and Lincoln counties combined!

We were actually hunting closer to Ft. B, closer still to Carter (That cluster of a few houses and buildings near the RR crossing), and there are a few places to hole up near there. But not many.

Now you see why I never leave home without my GPS!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Hey guys,
Hot almighty this hunt sounds great. I run around with Gene'O here in Idaho eradicating all the low life vermin we can. We have two other partners that are interested in coming and was wondering if you can get a 28" trailer anywhere near shooting area, not much into KOA's. We checked Wy. Fish & Game website could not find a requirement for non-resident license, is there one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks for any info on these.

BoomSplat, you can pull your trailer right out into the middle of the dogtowns, if you want. But if it rains, it might be there for awhile... But, seriously, you could park your trailer right off the blacktop on the edge of the shooting areas most anywhere out there. Would beat the crap out of staying in town, if you ask me. I ain't much into KOA's or motels either. When I'm in that area, I usually just throw out a sleeping bag under the stars where ever I happen to end up at nightfall. If the weather is bad, I put up a tent. Nothing better than cooking up some steaks, listening to the coyotes howl and the wind blow, then going to sleep staring at the stars, then waking up amongst 'em the next morning.

- DAA

DAA, you were saying how neat it is to cook steaks out in the wild and listen to coyotes howl, reminded me of three years ago. Heath and I went out for four days of coyote and chukar hunting in the Owyhee Mountains. The low temperature of 4 below zero was the normal at night. Coyotes howled all night and came into camp, jumped into the back of the truck, & ripped open the coolers after the food. Then, the coyotes tried to get into the tent where we were. We got up in our underwear at 4 below zero, out of the tent we went, looking to shoot them. It was so cold standing in our undies, I never got warm that night. So, finally at 5:00 am, we got up to turn the propane heater on and make coffee and have eggs, nothing worked!! Propane was frozen up.
So we scrapped that idea, grabbed our guns, and up the hill we went to make a call for the coyotes that keep us up all night. First call, five coyotes came in & we got four of them. Ten minutes later, same set up, we got two more. After three days of hunting, there was no more howling around camp. We had a great time out, with lots of memories.
So since we are going to have a full moon on that weekend, can we shoot coyotes at night with a full moon? I can’t resist calling coyotes in. Gary and I are staying in a tent if the weather is right. GENE’O

Gene'o, there's no law in WY against shooting coyotes during the denning season and leaving the pups abandoned to starve. It's perfectly legal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Tom, Looks like 412 runs basically North and South, kinda NW to SE so I would say that most guys stay East, NE of 412 even though a guy can shoot on either side. The majority of that land out there is all BLM.

Gene'o, that area is really tough calling because I'm sure it gets called alot. If theres any sheep herders out there, they pretty good about dropping any coyote they see or at the least educating them. You might hear some at night. Daves right about the ground out there, you don't wanna be caught out there off the gravel road during any rain. If you just right off the road, you might be OK.

We were up there scouting a couple weeks ago, which turned out to be stupid idea because the ground was very wet and muddy. That wyoming mud is nasty stuff! Anyway, there were sheep and herders in almost every BLM turnout.

While we are on this topic, has anyone been up near Kemmerer? Is the p-dog shooting very good up that way?

That nasty gray mud is no fun at all when trying to extracate yourself from it. Trying to get a trailer out as well if the weather turns sour might just ruin your day. Leaving them near on the firm stuff is a great suggestion.

As far as Kemmerer, a couple of WW's back we started out up there as I recall. We opted to follow RanUT's sage advice (pun intended) and head southeast towards the greater Carter metropolitan area. We were not dissapointed. I hear lots of people tell me they're fairly thick up around Kemmerer, but I've never bothered to track them down thus far. Maybe someday when I have more money and time.

Jason

When the wife and I drove through wyoming last summer, I-80,122 mile marker. The P-dogs were on both sides of the road for miles.
That gray mud in wyoming is like the stuff in Idaho, its nasty stuff. We will haft to find a good spot next mounth out in the area. GENE'O

It's looking like the 21st is going to be the day. If we go to the same area we went last year, it is north of Mountain View, Wyoming, just past Carter. Mountain View is east of Ft. Bridger and Evanston.

If it ever stops raining, (don't we live in a desert /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif), I'd like to go up and do some scouting around Kemmerer, which is north of Carter. If not, then we'll just wing it like we usually do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope to see you all there.

Paul

OK boys, it's getting close. Who's still planning on going? Where and when are we meeting up? Who's staying over and where? Damn, so many questions so few answers.

Last edited:
Me and the father-in-law will be there. We'll meet you in ft bridger or at the cattle gaurd. Either way is fine with me. Lookin' forward to it.

I sure hope it stops raining and snowing up here. The weather has not been favorable for off-roading. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Back