NYS Coyote Hunters

Great reading Bob and Goose,

I went out for a little bit this evening. Didn't kill or see anything but had them close. Real close. Came home and changed. Ran up the road about 1 mile to the farm. Visited with the farmer then went to the next farm and made a stand. Walked up the farm road about 500 -600 yards. Set up with the caller in the field in front and to my right. I suspected they would come in from in front and to me left or straight ahead. Wind was blowing from behind and to my right. Set there maybe 5 minutes when I hear a howl waaaayyyy off. Then another a little closer but still out there. Next 4 or 5 coyotes start cutting loose about 150 yards behind and to my left. I couldn't believe it! They're just screaming away almost between me and the car. Go figure. I would never have thought I walked past them on the way in. My blind was terrible for their approach. I had to turn to my left if I was going to see them approach. After setting up so that they would have to expose themselves to get down wind of me they do that??? Well anyway, I hit the female invitation howl. Sat there with baited breath for 30 minutes. Heard them again across the road from my car and that was it. I was super pumped for a while. Thought that tonight may be the one but....... ahh you know the story.

Good hunting.

Perri

Handgunr

No problems at all!! We are all just having fun with the predators. Perhaps, we will all meet up at some of the area contests that are popping up!

This thread is fun because it's all about what is happening right here in our backyard

Andrew
bhw

Dave,

I failed to mention that the other night when we were heading out of the railroad bed from our fun, a coyote opened up around the area of my old oak tree stand. That was the same stand that I mentioned about where several years back a pack of coyotes followed me from there out, almost to my truck.
The RR bed and the road run parallel, and I was hunting in between them at the time. It was a low long bark & howl, which he kept doing for several minutes. Dennis wanted to turn back and try to intercept him, and I smiled.....I told him that it was so thick in there that he would never get anywhere near him.
I just said...."we'll be back".

So maybe tonight, when he gets out of work, we'll head over and catch the tailend of dusk and a couple hours of night hunting. It'll give me some time with my new spotlight.

Like I said, your calls seem to be working very well. I've only been out twice with them, but the "medium rabbit" works very well on fox (so far), and the "raspy rabbit" works a little better when I need more volume for the ones a little farther off (oh yeah, and feral cats-lol).

goose....keep plugging away...you'll connect.
Setting up your stands, regarding wind and their most likely approach direction, choosing your sounds, and so on, is the best you can do.
I think that luck plays a major role in getting them, and by doing everything right it just increases your chances.

In the past, at times, I've thought that I did everything just about perfect, and still gotten busted. Wind changes, and besides that, coyotes are smarter than most give them credit for, so the old "right place, at the right time" holds true.
Like I mentioned before, "chance favors the prepared mind".

I'm in the same boat as you.

freebm....
Cool situation you had there......love that. Centered in amongst several of them gets hairy....especially when they start coming in to you from seperate directions....LOL
Chances are the group that was between you & your car, filtered in after you passed by. They might have been curious of you and came in to investigate.....I've had them follow me at a distance, many times.
That gets nervy sometimes........

Sounds like you're in the hotspot between all of us, so give em' hell man.....
I'm going to catch some dusk/night hunting tonight, and I think I'll go back over near Geneseo (actually Retsof....Foster spelled backwards) to see if I can get that old coyote to stick his nose out.
The only reason were heading out late is because Dennis has to work till 4:00PM...we'll have to catch the late shift.
Also, down where I'm at, the snow's getting deep (about 1' to 2' or so, and more in the drifts) and harder for the coyotes to move in it, not to mention the fox.
We're in the snow belt down here, but 25 miles over to Geneseo, they have much less.

We'll see......

Good luck all,
Bob

Hey Guys, Just a dusting of snow here. Nothing like you all got farther north. Cold as hell though! Only been out once since last message. Nothing again but, did manage to see two playing grab a@% in a swail field about 350yds away from me. Hadnt even started calling yet and I see movement in the swail. Manage to get some binocs on 'em and could barely make out that they were coyotes. No chance of a shot and they quickly rambled off after about 5 minutes. Tried the caller and got some responses way off in the distance (neighboring property)...no takers.I must say Dave, still getting responses from your call! Came across another dead deer. Nice buck (would have been) 8pt with it all chewed up. Found one last year during spring turkey season also. Gorgeous non-typ 12pt. Antlers were in tact so I managed to get them at least. Not sure if they are dying from gun season(bad shots), Car-deer meetings or yotes. Maybe aliens??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Oh that only happens to livestock right???!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey guys,

Say take a look at the post titled "PA hunters?". Hmmmmm...these Noreast coyotes are just plain tough and sneaky too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Bob like you I left out one thing from my last hunt. I took the circuitous route back home. It was just going around the "block" in another direction. In the new snow on the road I saw three sets of coyote tracks. One lone set was huge!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif When I got out of the car and looked at them I almost couldn't believe it.
Due to family obligations, no hunting for me this weekend. Hope you guys that get out there do well. I can say that in my neck of the woods they're certainly active.

Perri

Andy,

Thanks.......
I'm too old for the contests..always get shown up by the young bucks....Dennis and I are just old farts that still love to kill sh*t....chucks, crows, fox, coyote's....etc. But it still allows me to play sniper since I retired..LOL.
I'd like to think that what we lack physically, we make up for in sneaky old creativeness....hopefully.

For his early 60's though, and smoking non-filtered Camel's, Dennis can make a mile and hunt all day long without quitting or getting tired, it appears anyway.
On the other hand, with my disability BS....and at 48, we're about even I guess.
I always said that "I didn't give a sh*t, even if I was in a wheelchair, roll me out there and leave me....I'm hunting".
My wife always laughs.....in agreement. I think she's imagining a skeleton in a wheelchair that someone spots in the spring....smarta$$.

Hayzer....you were right....Dave's calls work very well. I've been having good luck so far getting the fox crazy with them.
With no responses to our calling recently, I got scouting a previously "good" area, and found a deer carcass laying up on a hillside.
I firmly believe that it affects the predator's responses to our calls when they are already eating well.

Take care & good luck,
Bob

Well??? What's the score fellas's???

Saw a very nice , very dark and large coyote today. Easy 200 yard chip shot...........but shooting out of a car, with your 10 year old daughter and on property you don't have permission to hunt is ..... just the way it goes. LOL Yup, my daughter had just counted 11 deer. We went about 1/2 mile and I said there's another oneeeeeee! Damn, it's a coyote, I mean dang. We stopped and watched him for a good two minutes. He just milled around. I left before he did. That was on a farm next to one I've hunted twice. Daughter was excited. With the fresh snow as a backdrop he made a pretty picture. Guess where I'll be next week?

Hope you guys are having luck.

Perri

That's exactly the way it goes Perri....

Same thing happened here.....it's almost like they have a "hunter forecast", and know when they can come out to do their thing & torment us.

Have you wife dress up like you, with your daughter in the car, and sneak around the back way and pop that &%$*#&#*@.

Sounds like a plan............?

Take care,
Bob

Have her dress up like me!
That's not a pretty site in my minds eye, but you may be on to something.
Bob, sent an email your way.

Oh by the way (almost forgot to report in).......

Went out at 6:45PM Friday night....perfect conditions, no wind, mid-20's, partial moonlight (a little cloudy).....good 300yd. visibility....crosshairs & all.

Do you think we got any taker's.......NOPE! Nuttin' not even fresh tracks anywhere....most likely the snow as too deep for the fox at least....don't know, but we stayed out until 12:30AM...callin' and moving. We made at least 4 setups with no takers, so we toured the area for 45 mins spotting the fields and looking for area's of sign.
Nothing fresh....and even the old tracks were few & far between.
I got home and hit the sack (after tucking my gear away), at 2:05AM, and was up & out the door at 6:30. We headed down to Rattlesnake hill (20 miles from my place), arriving at first light to see several trucks in the places we were going to hunt.....wtih dog boxes....SH*T......checking another spot.....we arrived to a symphony of snowmobile engines whining up the trails & throught he wooded section we wanted to hunt.....screw it, we left.

After missing first light and the luck we usually have at those times (luck, yeah right), we headed up to Geneseo knowing full well that the dog hunters might be out there too. Well, they were, but they had run the dogs through a lower section of the several hundred acres that we hunt, so I headed up even farther to a pretty decent spot.
Dennis took his position on a huge corn field, right along a nice gully, and I sat up on the old railroad bed.
Perfect.....we'll see something here, I know it......yep, half hour goes by....good calling sequences, I can feel were gonna see something today....checking up through to the end of the railroad bed with my scope ( a good 650yds.) every once in awhile helps to catch sight of a nose, tail or something sticking out of the brush......ALL OF A SUDDEN.....
two kids pop around the corner, and up onto the railroad bed riding their 4 wheeler....SH*T AGAIN.....
They drive down right to me laying there....hi, what are you doing ?.......ahhhh, hunting....what are you doing ? going for rope from the junk pile (back aways)......

I realize that the kid on the front (riding double) is property owner's kid....better be nice.

"Alright you guys be careful...see any fox or better yet, coyotes ?" ....."Nope"....okay see you later.

Stayed there till dark...nothing went home disgusted...as usual....
Better luck on Weds.......

Still trying.......
Bob

Hey, Just found out you guys are here?! I'm up in Wayne County. Been trying to call in a Coyote for a year and a half now. Score, one cat, one dog ,one owl, one set of green eyes one set of red eyes(gone before I could get the scope on them)and lots of strange noises in the night, haven't pulled the trigger yet. Went out last night, clear, calm, almost perfect. Nothing. Went out this morning. Lots of fox tracks, but nothing fooled by my calling. Gone to try again tonight.

Timewrench,
Do you hear alot of howling out your way? A guy I work with lives out in Wayne County and hears howling quite a bit. I'm going to take a drive out there soon and see if I can get some permission out that way.

Heard more this spring than this winter. Just got home from hunting this evening. Real quiet. Great night to be out though.
You Monroe county guys realize you need a US passport and two forms of picture ID to get into Wayne County? :)
Anyone ever try cheap smelly old cat food for bait?

I went out last night on some new land. We called in 6 fox under 50 yards on only 3 stands! They were coming in so quick we kept getting caught. Upwind or Downwind they didn't care, several got within 10 yards, most were there withing 1 minute. Got this one with the shotgun, my partner missed one with the rifle. No coyotes though.
376724.JPG

Welcome to the forum Timewrench...

Nice tag Joe......I'm going to have to resort to my shotgun in the thick stuff where the red's have blown past me recently.
I've been laying in the fields too much lately I guess.
The snows getting too deep in the fields down here, but I'm sure they're still cruising the heavier wooded areas.

Take care,
Bob

Hey guys,

Got my first shot on a dog Saturday night. My partner, CoyoteSmoker, and I were set in a hedge with a knoll between us. I had set the volume a lil (alot) low on my ecaller so I switched it off and cut loose with a cottontail distress. CoyoteSmoker pickup on it and got on his distress call. He'd just completed his second sequence, when a dog trotted out of the woods, from my left, and into the field. The dog saw the gun come to bear on him and did an about face. I gave him a "wuff" and a 55 gr. Vmax. at 40 yards. He turned, biting his haunch, and ran. I let a second (hailmary) shot off as he burned into the woodline.

CoyoteSmoker popped over the knoll and highfiving did commence, along with the shot analysis. There was a V in the snow extending back about 15 feet and 8 feet wide, with blood and bone. It looked like a pass through shot. More highfiving. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif We took up the track and took it for a quarter mile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Had good blood and a nice tracking snow, so we went back and got our gear, giving him time to give up the ghost.

A hot coffee and a quick charge on the light later, we were back doggin the dog. Another mile and two dead lights later, we figured the dog could run for days before throwing the towel in./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

It took us 12 sets this year for the first shot, Lynn's been keeping a good log. I'da swore we did 60 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif We've learned alot, in no small part to PM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif , including how tough these dogs are. Anywho, we broke the ice and will be back on 'em soon.

Good hunting,

Rick

Sounds like a fun hunt. I guess you can't always have the perfect shot, and after many years I've found that 90% of them are quick shots, or awkward positions.
My partner and I are going to spend most of our shooting this summer practicing those offhand, and awkward shots just to sharpen up.
Hunting with at least one other partner, and in my opinion, three at the most, it makes for far better coverage. Coyotes and fox can sneak in on you and alone, you'd never know they were there.

Chances are, that coyote probably stopped and layed down somewhere well out of distance, and died there. When mortally wounded, they always seem like they try to make it back to their den to die. This could be a prime opportunity for you. You never know.

Good luck,
Bob

222, very nice fox. So that's what they look like.

218, I bet your bllod was really pumping. Heck, I get all excited just hearing them!

Couldn't sleep because of the brite moon but was too lazy to get up in the middle of the night too. Snuck out before work for an hour. Stop the car and walked about 50 yards across a field and ran into a set of fairly fresh tracks. Then found another. Started to giggle to myself. Oh yeah, I thought this was it. Set up 500 yards furhterin with just an okay wind and commenced with the woodpecker distress. This area has some fox too. After 10 minutes of silence hit the young coyote howl. Did a series of 4-5 howls and set back. For the first time, I heard a coyote howl in the broad daylight. (0730) It was way off. Sounded like one of those long lonely howls. Had to leave after 20 more minutes.
It's getting tough keeping excited, but a track here and howl there is all it takes.

Good Hunting,

Perri

Back