NYS Coyote Hunters

went out sat. night w/ a friend from Fredonia .
called a yote in on our first stand. the only problem was we were just starting to get up to go. he ran into the brush,so we howled a few times , and he came back out into the field and stood at 70 yds. my pard rushed the shot, and the yote put the afterburners on. we both took shots at him running and missed. gone!!!
on our forth stand we howled two in to aprox. 100 yds.they stopped and just stood there. my only shot was through a small patch of weeds. my bullet must haved deflected, and they took off in high gear.

we had some good action, didnt even need lights, could have used some better shooters though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jk

hey guys,
went out on sunday morning and didn't see or hear a thing! just alot of fox track made from the day before it looked like? some of you guys are having some action! that's good!
jamesdogk, are you strickly using coyote sounds or are you howling and throwing in some distress sounds too? maybe i can get some differant ideas from you guys and try them out next time i go out! thanks!!
goose212

James,

Sounds like you're in a hotspot. We all have those misses...been there, done that......
Those dogs educate easily so they might be more wary next time you call them up...maybe not though. Sometimes they forgive you, but not usually.
If you need to pull them out of the bush after spotting them, a mouse squeeker, or making a squeeker noise with your mouth (much like when you call your dog) works pretty well.
Hopefully you connect on the next time out.

Well....at 3:50 in the morning (Weds.), I'm up and ready to go I guess. Had the old alarm clock set for 4:30, but my oldest was out on the couch with the TV blaring...woke my a$$ up and I can't get back to sleep.....so I'll be out for first light with no problem anyway. Hopefully this cold (& coughing) won't be a "PITA"....lots of Hall's.

Good luck gang,
Bob

goose , we were just using yote vocalizations,both of us would howl. somtimes over each other.

handgunr, we hunted Forestville, South Dayton, Arkwright.

had action at 4 out of 5 stands.

jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well Bob????? Come one give us the update. LOL Seems like you fellas in the western park of the state got em on the run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif
Going to try to hunt this evening. Weatherman is calling for the wind to pick up tomorrow night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif
Moon is still bright.
Good Hunting,
Perri

freebm, Andy and Knock'em,

The end of fox season came and went yesterday.....sadly, without gain. Nothing out, and no sign what so ever.
We were up and out very early, and headed over to the Geneseo area where the snow is thinner.
Over here by my place, it's too deep for the fox for the most part, and usually, until the crust forms over the top, they hang tight in the woods.
Well, there was absolutely zero sign in the regular spots, and like Knock em down said, " the fox are sure to be running right into us now that the season is over!"......

That happened last year, the day following the end of fox season we were out coyote hunting and after seeing nothing all season, 3 fox were out in the field 40yds in front of me running around mousing........%$&^#@^$%$
Dennis was 150 yds. down the hedge and he said that he was waiting for the BANG anyways......

Well end of season score.....seen several, maybe 8 or 10, a crappy shot at one running and missed.....so "bupkiss" for the year. I probably average 7-10 for the season...except this year & last. 2003/04 was my last good year.

Perri.....Got them on the run ?....Hell amigo....they done ran awhile ago...away from us...LOL....where, we don't know. Dennis got the one that strayed in on him when he was deer hunting, and we saw the one enroute back from a setup up near Batavia....that's it.

Well now, it's all coyote.....and based on what we've seen so far, it seems like another dry year...gotta build a positive attitude I guess and keep on going.

Maybe we'll have to do more night hunting like the old days. The other night we were out from 6:30 until 12:30....perfect conditions, but no show.

All wasted effort ?.....naw, just love being outdoors, and when they do show, it makes it that much more special.

Take care all (outfoxed for this year),
Bob

Yea, it was a typical year for me... Start of January is great for red fox, then Feb comes and it is all down hill... Until March. Then Coyotes seem to pick up

"All wasted effort ?.....naw, just love being outdoors, and when they do show, it makes it that much more special."

Above statement = 100% correct

If it was easy, I wouldn't bother doing it. Now time to try and get another coyote, a task that will not be easy, at all. Got a few fox this year and called in/got my first coyote. Lesson learned this year, I need more places to call, so I don't burn out my spots. Oh yeah, and to shoot better.

Gotta get ahold of DEC in Avon and maybe get a little "poop" on coyote populations.....
They usually can give me a "take per area" count and I'll have to get strategic about the whole thing...

Gotta get something before the season ends....

Bob

Well Bob,

Sounds like you had a good day. Yes the little predator season is over......for now. I didn't even see one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'll have to add that I didn't start hunting till after Christmas though. There's no lack of fox sign here, however I was concentrating on coyotes. At most of the spots I did start with "fox friendly" distress sounds.

Knock-em do you recommend level ll-a or level lll protective armour for fox?

Like you said Bob "being outdoors", that's what it's all about. Well we still got another month+ to harass the coyotes. Let's see if we can put a couple on the boards.

Good hunting,
Perri

Made a 45 minute stand this evening. Dang near froze half my face off!! Don't know about the western part of the state, but in this part the wind is really kicking. Maybe it'll calm down by tomorrow evening.

Good Hunting.

the wind blew like mad here in Lawtons all nite.

I was going to make a few stands, but shivered at the thought. it'll have to wait.

My houndsman buddys will be out today, there up to 23 or 24 yotes for the season.

jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Knock'em,

You should have some good hunting down that way. The area just across the Tappanzee looks good. I have seen coyotes on the road around Hariman. I bet some of those horse farms down that way would grant persmission to get rid of foxes and coyotes.

23 to 24!!!! I'm going to buy a pack of hounds TODAY.... yeah right. Damn, I've run bunnys and coon with hounds. Good dogs are a pleasure to hunt with.

The wind has slowed a bit. I'll be out this evening.

Good hunting all.

Perri

Hey Gang,

As par for the course, on the way back from picking up my new truck Sat., as I was passing a large open field just south of Dalton's Corners.....(at 2:30PM) there stands a huge coyote in the middle of the field. Very large.

I pulled up with the truck, backed up and rolled down both pass. side windows. He just stood there and stared at me for several seconds, then without a care, turned and started trotting towards the back treeline.
I had the calls in the truck, so just for "S's & Giggles", I cracked open with a bark & howl on the caller. He snapped his head around quick, and picked it up to a gallop.
Once he reached the treeline he started to walk down the edge, but stayed well out into the field from the edge. He stopped for a quick few seconds studying the truck, then as he headed on, I ripped open with a squall distress call and then he slammed on the brakes, and spun facing me.

After a few minutes of confusion, he turned and continued on.
Funny to play with them. This coyote had a lot of white & grey around it's chest and lower belly, more than most, but his upper back, head & tail was all that salt & pepper color. It had a distinctly different appearence than most dogs.

Being a holiday (Mon.), Dennis has it off and called to go out later today. Maybe we'll head down there and check it out.

Good luck,
Bob

Well these coyotes are showing me no love up this way. Hear doggy doggy, I won't hurt you....... I guess they're not falling for my line.

Tried again yesterday evening. Mainly scouted but found a new spot and sat down for about 40 minutes. Lots of sign. Both coytoes and fox. When I blew the howler some deer busted out around 250 yards away from thicket. My girlfriend is sore over me not getting home till an hour after dark every day. LOL Got to get her another job so she doesn't worry about me so much.

Knock-em, some people don't realize how much "country" there is right outside of the greatest city in the world. On my travels there I never know what I'll see. Last year I saw a bear run across the road. Shocked the heck out of me. There's certainly plenty of deer down that way. It's no surprise there's predators too.

Hope you manage to thin the coyote population a bit.

Perri

Perri,

I conditioned my wife early on about the evils of hunting. I gave her the "other woman" speech about hunting. She's "all good" about it, and usually doesn't mind.

I think the times it does [beeep] her off is when she goes shopping and comes home with a ton of stuff......ouch!

Oh well, it's still a good trade off......LOL

Heading out this afternoon to a reported sighting from last night......maybe ?

Take care,
Bob

Back