NYS Coyote Hunters

Bob,

Did you use clicker training or a shock collar? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My girl is good, but every now and then I hear "going hunting after work honey?" And I say "just for an hour baby". She knows that there are a lot of other vices a guy could have that are much worse and self destructive.

Hope you have some luck tonight. I passed on going out yesterday and wouldn't you know it, they opened up on the ridge across from my girls at around 9:30pm. Funny thing is she says to me " listen, do you hear them?" I just said yeah, and told her I'd rather be in with her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That shoud be worth a few points.

I've got a presentation to do this afternoon but should be done by 3:00-4:00. Looks like a good day to be out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Shoot Straight,

Perri

Hey all,

I have been pretty busy around the homestead with the new baby and all. I am just sick at the amount of time I've had off in the last month, as it compares to the amount of hunting I haven't been able to do. FINALLY made it out yesterday. Three stands....lots of deer, but no dogs. I just caught up on this thread, and it was some good reading.

Welcome to all the new folks here, and howdy to all those I've talked to previously.

I hope to get out a few more times for yotes, then give em heck next year when the new young'un is normalized.

Quote:
Bob,
Funny thing is she says to me " listen, do you hear them?" I just said yeah, and told her I'd rather be in with her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That shoud be worth a few points.

Nice Perri......very schmoozie..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

If she only knew the truth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I do the same thing, but my wife knows me too well by now, so it' don't work anymore. I get the "Yeah, right".
I think they eventually cave in and go with the flow.....either that, or they get happier with their free time...who knows.
My wife knew right from the beginning that there was certain things she could obstruct, and other's she couldn't......hunting was one of them.
The necessary evil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hey Stalker.....nice to see you back....congrats on the little one....for them, hunting can wait....besides, you're not missing much this year...

Take care,
Bob

I live in Honeoye which is in Ontario County. Just started pred hunting this year and I love it. Did anyone get a chance to go to the outdoor show in PA?? It was a great time. Let me know if a hunt gets planned for the end of the season. We have a contest going on right now e-mail me at adam_zimmermann@elementk.com for details.

Welcome ShooterX,

Who's hosting your event?

Bob,
I'm sure the "schmooze" factor has helped you out more than once. THe snow has been teasing me all day long but I've made plans for this evening.

Here's something I want to bounce off of you guys. Well a couple of things actually.

First, do you guys find the coyotes are way more apt to roam than other game. I mean it seems like I can't pattern them say like deer. I'm no biologist, but from what I see and hear, the coyotes around these parts are like hobos. Yes, they have territory but damn it's BIG.

Second, if you don't get busted outright by the coyotes on one trip, would you go back to the same area. Not the same stand but say within 200 yards and try something different within a few days? If I have a good deer stand that doesn't produce one day, chances seem to be even better for the next. Make sense?

Just looking for a little input.

Thanks,
Perri

freebm,
they have a huge range in comparison to whitetails. weve chased a few with dogs more than 6 miles in some cases.

as far as a pattern, they seem to cross roads in the same spot, although not consecutively each nite. sometimes every other or every two nites.

jim

hey guys, me and my partner made it out for an early morning hunt today and..............I'll give you one guess????????? You guessed it, not a damn thing! Fresh air did us good though. The woods were eerily quiet this morning....and I am not sure why. Maybe the calm before the storm? Turkeys were pretty active. I think they are establishing the peckin order for the spring. I am telling you guys if I end the season with a fat "bagel" in the points category then let 'em be warned.........for next year!!!! I will be back with a venegeance!!!!!!!!!!!! Seasons not over until the fat lady sings.....and shes on deck! LOL Good luck for the remainder guys!

Last edited:
Perri,

Schmooze.....me.....naw, I had to give that up cause' it failed to work after the first few years....wife got smart.

Like Emeril, I had to kick it up a notch when the bribes became more expensive...
Now she picks what she wants (usually at the jewlers) and I don't have much recourse, especially when I come home with a new shooter....LOL
It encompasses my hunting as well....I wish I could still schmooze.....it was damn cheaper by a long shot.

Consider yourself lucky partner.....but be forewarned, it gets worse.....LOL

Take care,
Bob

Well I got up around 0430 this AM. Thought I heard a snow plow go by. Went outside and was almost knocked over by the wind! Now I really don't mind the wind, in fact I've shot a lot of game when guys said "it's too windy out here". But even I had to go back in this morning. Waited till 0600 to see if it would slow down. No good so cancelled the hunt. Are you guys out in WNY getting the wind too?

Jim, 6 miles is a long way. I was thinking that maybe, on average, they have a 2-3 mile range around here. Just a guess, but that still makes it a gamble being where they are on any given stand. I guess if I was running from your dogs I could run 6 .... yards or so.

Hayzer, I agree the season ain't over yet. Heck we got a month still.

I was wondering if the dominant "couple" ran off the rest of the pack when they got intimate? Maybe for a day or two. Or do the other coyotes hang around and ...watch. Who knows?? I was thinking , if they did chase the others off, man that time should be good calling. I would think, the younger less experienced pack members would be easier to call in. Just a thought.

Hey Bob, you know, they're all good in the right circumstance. Sometimes it just takes a little for we alpha's to see it. I'm familiar with that barter system. LOL I've learned to always show the MSRP versus the "deal" I got.

Good shooting.

Perri

Gang,

Clitn howled these in the other nite...

380607.jpg

bhw; Well it looks like Clitn knows what he's doin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
What rifle is that?

Nice lookin yotes!! Big hole in the hanging one...so, What rifle is that?

Shooter X. MY wife's father used to own the California Ranch house, on West Lake Road. How's hunting over that way? Canadice ought to be a hotbed for dogs.

WNYStalker

Andy,

Where's Clinton's secret area ?

Export some of that down here will ya ?

Apparently your populations up there are far better than ours down in the southern tier....

Oh well......maybe I'll get to pull a trigger this season yet.....who knows.

Bob

Guys,The rifle is a .243

Here is the best part... One of his favorite spots is the farm RIGHT NEXT TO ONE OF MY HUNTING SPOTS!!! I rarely shoot anything there, 2 fox this year is it!

We went together last week and I missed 2 coyotes, one of them is in the picture with Clint.

Clint can get coyotes anywhere and he has proved it. I'm glad to call him my friend.

Here is a link from some eastern NY hunting activity. By far the best day we have had all season. Saw more yotes that day than most of the season put together. This one puts us at four so far. Pretty unique looking coyote. I think you guys will enjoy.

P.S.- Great site you guys have here. I have been lurking and learning for awhile. Finally had something worthy to post.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5411043/m/882109234

and another
f00cbc4c.jpg

Last edited:
M4,

That first one is a beautiful dog!! It looks like he tried to run you over when you look at the one pic with tracks up to the edge of the pond. I hope you're going to have the hide tanned or a mount made.

Congrats on a fine trophy Yote!!

WNYS

I saw one that color several years ago,mousing in the grass along the nys thruway near the Hamburg exit.

nice looking yote and perfect shot too.

jk

Back