Streeeetching out a 22lr.

coyotex

So,,heres the deal,,sometime this summer ,due to a friendly wager,,i will be attempting a 5 shot 2moa group at 300 yards...only rules,,it has to be a 22 rimfire.

I ve already figured on shooting it early a.m.,,fabbing a vise set up with a heavy plate,,four adjustment screws....making targets by hand for the perfect sight picture every time,,,basically swinging everything in my favor as possible,,including the wind.

Tonight i went through the ammo selection process,,at a lasered 203 yards,,subsonic rems did horrible,,along with every high velocity i tried 4 different brands...this Rifle loves wolf match and Blazers(the best consistant group go figure!)...on a terrible rickety table,,20 shot group smaller than my fist....9 holes printed at 1.5 inches.....overall 20 for 20 woulda hit a groundhog in the noggin.

20MOA base on the way!.
Anybody else shoot any 22lr longrange?

X

I've hit prairie dogs at over 300 with a 10/22 and velociter ammo. 1 shot 1 hit, no walking it in. Only 'hyper' ammo that shot well out of it. I never tried it for groupings beyond 100 though.

Well 300 for a 22,,is like 700 for a 308,,lol...bad part is that news traveled fast at work...never lost a shooting bet,,might be due i guess.
Im shooting for MOA in practice,,to leave room for error.

If this rifle wont do it,,then the bsa martini with drop in reticles,,or a rem 40x,,with a fixed 36 lupy...will get the nod,,,i dont take losing well.

X

I shoot my Rem. 541 at a 5" gong at 300 all the time. I just have to pick a spot on a tree above it. Any wind, from any direction, and your screwed. Temp. and pressure will also mess with you. 6" 5 shot is do-able. What I call a lucky group. When I can hit the gong 3 times in a row I'm feeling lucky. I've yet to hit the gong at 500, but someday!

Last edited:
I'll have to change what RTLOF said a little....I would say slightly possible and NOT very probable. Just my opinion.
That being said, go for it and let us know. No cheating.
I would like to see the arc of that bullet to hit at 300 yds.
Gonna look like the McDonalds arches ha ha. Good luck

I "think" with some trial and error practice, it's doable...My old Walther (single shot), with Hyper Velocity ammo (Qwik Shocks) and the 32x scope that was locked down really well, might be capable...I'm not so sure about my 10/22 though..

There is a considerable difference in the barrel lengths and chamber dimensions between the two...

I am thinking designing the 300 target with multiple points that line up the repeatable scope picture,,,will be one of the harder things to do,,but is a definate need...Besides the temp,humidity and wind,,itll come down to one thing i cant control,,consistancy of the round...one squibber,,and all is for nothing.

X

Originally Posted By: coyotexI am thinking designing the 300 target with multiple points that line up the repeatable scope picture,,,will be one of the harder things to do,,but is a definate need...Besides the temp,humidity and wind,,itll come down to one thing i cant control,,consistancy of the round...one squibber,,and all is for nothing.

X

The temp and humidity will have no effect. Wind is your enemy!!

"Squibbers" (Wazzat??) can be eliminated by using a top of the line round like Eley 10X.
There is no more consistent ammo than Eley 10X

Do you get only one chance at a group, or can you shoot several groups and pick the best - you should have a chance to shoot several "sighters"... even world class matches let you do that.

Meow.

Weigh everything, measure the case head thickness, sort the ammo into consistant lots. The bet is very doable as long as the wind does not mess with you. How many sighters are you allowed, also temp will mess with you if you practice on 40 degree days and get your scope dialed in and then shoot at lets say 80 degrees. All in all I think you got this one.

Any wind and you're in trouble. The rifle with the right ammo (if you have a good barrel) is capable of it.

That stock is either a Fajen thumbhole Silhouette or a Revolution Yukon I'd say (from what I can see of it).
If it's a Fajen, that should be molded into the butt pad. If not, it's likely the Yukon (I think they're built off the same CNC program, as near as I could tell).

They're nice and rigid. Good luck buddy, it's a challenge.

Fajen Thumbhole

Revolution Yukon

Its a fajen evil,,after that old post i checked,,lol

As far as top of the line ammo,,im all about that,,if my rifle likes it..it likes wolf match,,but groups better so far with elcheapo blazers of all things...go figure..

I get set up and practice time,,and get to pick the day and time i shoot it...i used to range out the martini to 250,,,forgot how long the delay of the hit was at 200.

300 is probably gonna be a different animal all together...actually easier to shoot moa at 200,,than 2moa at 300.

X

Originally Posted By: coyotexI am thinking designing the 300 target with multiple points that line up the repeatable scope picture,,,will be one of the harder things to do,,but is a definate need...Besides the temp,humidity and wind,,itll come down to one thing i cant control,,consistancy of the round...one squibber,,and all is for nothing.

X

That would be my concern aswell, if you have practiced with the rifle at 300, and are confident that you and the rifle a capable, then the ammo is the biggest varible. Rimfire ammo even match always seems to have consistency problems.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: coyotexI am thinking designing the 300 target with multiple points that line up the repeatable scope picture,,,will be one of the harder things to do,,but is a definate need...Besides the temp,humidity and wind,,itll come down to one thing i cant control,,consistancy of the round...one squibber,,and all is for nothing.

X

The temp and humidity will have no effect. Wind is your enemy!!

"Squibbers" (Wazzat??) can be eliminated by using a top of the line round like Eley 10X.
There is no more consistent ammo than Eley 10X

Do you get only one chance at a group, or can you shoot several groups and pick the best - you should have a chance to shoot several "sighters"... even world class matches let you do that.

Meow.

Good to see a post from you.

Good Luck. Superseal110 and I shot our 22's quite often out to 300yds but there is absolutely no way I'd wager on just sitting down and banging out a 2MOA group. Wind is going eat you up.

The only thing you can control is the ammo, and inconsistent speeds in some of the factory ammo will become very apparent as you start stretching them out.

The blazer ammo printed the most consistant at 203..im gonna try andd get that target posted here by this evening,,,did not measure it,,im gonna shoot some 5 shot groups at 250 plus soon,,,but until that 20 moa base gets here 300 is pretty near impossible.

Thanks for all the opinions and kind words,,,Either way win or lose,as long as i give it my best shot i will be happy,,,if im close to 2moa...that to anyone who knows is impressive.

X

Back